cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691: tape drive off line after installing SP5.

Dirk_De_Busser
Level 2

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691 on Windows Server 2003

Everything was working fine with SP4. Then SP5 was installed and the tape device goes off line in the Veritas Devices window.

Re-install SP5: problem not solved

HP LTO Ultrium-1 drive

Firmware: N27D/OEM9

Re-install of Firmware N27D/OEM9: problem not solved.

Installed: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only): problem not solved.

In Windows Device Manager the tape Device Status has a yellow explanation mark. When I use the HP driver instead of the Veritas driver the yellow explanation mark disappeared. But I want to use the Veritas driver so Veritas can control this drive.

Currently installed driver: Veritas 1/11/2004 5.0.1.1

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just because the driver is not the Veritas/Symantec driver does not mean that BackupExec does not control the device

If the Mfg driver works, use it  (I tend to prefer mfg drivers anyway)

Dirk_De_Busser
Level 2

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the input.

1. Using the Veritas driver is the recommended solution. So I always try to use this driver. Remember that this Veritas driver was working with SP4, so it should be working with SP5 installed as well.

2. Even when I use the HP driver the drive is still off line in the Veritas Manager. So I’m not able to use this device for the Veritas software.

Best Regards,

Dirk

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry, guess I mis-read your first post

Are you using the latest driver pack?  

If you shut down all BackupExec services does NTBackup seem to operate normally?