cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Exec tape issues

james_fullerton
Level 2
Good morning, we have been having intermittent problems with the Veritas software on one of our systems when backing up data.

The Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 software is running on a Windows 2003 server.

The physical device is a Dell Powervault 122T/SDLT320

These are the steps that I perform when preparing a tape for the backup process.

1. Insert tape into drive
2. Re-inventory tape drive
3. quick erase of media
4. label media for backup

When the backup is done this tape is removed from the drive and taken off site. It's later brought back into the tape rotation for use again.

What's pecuilar is that when I often try to reuse those tapes the veritas software prompts to "insert a writable media" suggesting that it either thinks the media is read-only (which it's not) or something else odd happening.

I double checked the backup jobs and they have the append option turned off so there shouldn't be a storage limit issue either as the old data should just be completely erased from the tape.

I'd appreciate any help that can be provided.
7 REPLIES 7

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Are the tapes all 'scratch media' after erasing them?

greetings
Peter

david_thonet
Not applicable
We also have a powervault. Its a 132t - I found out from dell that using the unknown media changer device driver seems to help. Once we moved away from the dell driver itself it works perfect.

james_fullerton
Level 2
Yes the media appears as "scratch" once those steps I mentioned before are done.

james_fullerton
Level 2
We also have a powervault. Its a 132t - I found out from dell that using the unknown media changer device driver seems to help. Once we moved away from the dell driver itself it works perfect.

--------------

How would I go about changing this? If you have a link to such instructions that would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
If the meduim changer appears unknown, it is becuase you have uninstaled the OEM drivers,if this works there is no harm using Microsoft drivers.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

james_fullerton
Level 2
I'm afraid I don't understand that response

When I click on "Device" this is what I see for our tape device:

Name: Dell1
Vendor: Dell
Product ID: PV-1222T
Firmware Version: J12r
Robotic Library Type: Changer FS=1
Date in Service: 9/2/6/2005
Serial Number:

I have not uinstalled the OEM drivers. In fact, how do I know which drivers I am currently using on the system and how do I install the correct ones?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi James,

The following document will be of help to you:

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Also refer to the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237047

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.