cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Disappointing LTO5 Job Rate

PaulCusden
Level 2

This is not necessarily a problem, more of an observation, but if anyone else agrees that these results are disappointing and has any advice or a magic fix, it would be much appreciated. I am new to using BE2010 and have just implemented a LTO5 single tape backup unit system. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that I have missed in setup...

I am doing a standard backup of 2 files of around 300gb each to new LTO5 media, and getting an average job rate of ~ 1750MB/Min. With verify on, this takes around 12 hours.

To be honest, I was expecting something significantly faster than this both in terms of tape write speed and the subsequent verification. The theoretical maximum for LTO5 is 140MB/sec. This gives a potential job rate of 8400Mb/Min, obviously this is just on paper and not "real world". I have however run IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool and have a confirmed write speed of 132.74MB/s, so pretty close to the theoretical max.

With BE2010 I always get roughly the same job rate rate, regardless of where the files are located - I have tried backups with the source files on Raid 1 or Raid 5 arrays (the R5 obviously has a much faster sustained read capability). To me this suggests that the hard drives/their controllers are not a bottleneck. 

However... when a backup job is running, I always see roughly the same read disk activity from beremote.exe of 30Mb/Sec on these files. Multiply this by 60 and you get almost exactly my Job Rate as reported in BE2010. Why such a low disk reported throughput? The arrays I tested on are quite capable of 100-600Mb/min sequential read, and the server is doing virtually nothing else. CPU utilisation is ~ 10% (SQL Server ticking over mainly, DEV system so no users connected 90% of the time), beremote.exe is usually around 1% CPU util whilst a backup job is running. It is almost as those there is a cap on BE2010 source file disk read speed.

The relevant specs of the hardware are below.

• IBM System X3630M3
  • Dual Xeon E5506 @ 2.13GHz, Quad Core, 4Mb Cache, QPI 4.8GT/s
  • 32Gb RAM (8Gb free, SQL Server memory capped)
  • Windows 2008 R2 X64 SP1
  • ServeRAID M5015 SAS Controller, 512Mb (hard drives)
  • 2*IBM 2TB SATA 3Gbps (Raid1)
  • 4*IBM 2TB SATA 3Gbps (Raid 5)
  • IBM/LSI 6Gb SAS HBA (dedicated for Tape Drive)
  • IBM HH LTO Gen 5 Model TS2250

The media is all new LTO5 media, the tape drive is new too.

As far as I can see, I am only achieving about 20% what is possible with LTO5. Basically I am getting less that LTO2 speed.

I have done a few more tests using a smaller single test file (around 20Gb) for convenience, but still seeing the same scenario.

I have also had a look around Symantecs website regarding slow tape performance. The articles I have read are more geared towards tweaking for a bit more performance. I can only think that there must be something fundamentally wrong with my setup as I am not after a tweak for a few Mb/sec, but looking for at least doubling my performance which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation. Given that my scenario of a few large files located on the same server this should be close to an ideal backup scenario in terms of speed, so achieving only 20% of the maximum throughput is pretty disappointing, and to be honest inconvenient.

Apologies for the long post!devil

Cheers

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try tuning your tape drive.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

Although it for LTO4, the principles should be the same.

Another thing that you might want to look at is the level of fragmentation on your disks.  Highly fragmented files will slow things down.

Also, if you have a lot of small files, the backup would be a lot slower than backing up a couple of big files.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try tuning your tape drive.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

Although it for LTO4, the principles should be the same.

Another thing that you might want to look at is the level of fragmentation on your disks.  Highly fragmented files will slow things down.

Also, if you have a lot of small files, the backup would be a lot slower than backing up a couple of big files.

PaulCusden
Level 2

Superb, problem solved!

My problem was the default Block Size and Buffer Settings BE2010 had applied to the drive.

Block Size was set to 1Kb

Buffer Size was set to 32Kb.

This was causing the slow disk read speed, as verified by Windows Resource monitor.

I have run through a few scerarios, and have settled on 256Kb setting for both sizes.

This now gives me a Job Rate of 14,871 MB/Min when backup up large files from a local Raid 5 array.

A significant improvement from the 1,750 MB/Min I was getting!

Thanks for your help.

Paul