cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low througput D2T

partial_hyper-v
Level 4

Hi,

I've BE 2010 R2 SP1 and a Dell TL2000 (iSCSI). I've installed the symantec tape-drivers and getting a throughput of 500 MB/min (!). With the Dell(IBM)-drivers I also got only 1.900 MB/min. What should I do? This is very disappointing...

With BE 2010 R1 there were about 4.000 MB/min with the same hardware. I don't think that this is an iSCSI related problem.

I'm trying to duplicate date from a local Raid 5 (benchmark-read: ~ 220 MB/s).

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I'd say that the issue might be in the way that it creates catalogs of the media on disk to tape, but if you got a faster rate using the manufacturer's drivers, I'd suggest using them. There have been reports on the forums of manufacturer drivers being much faster than Symantec's drivers, and vice versa.

Matter of interest: Are these the latest Symantec drivers you're using, and did you maybe restart your media server when they were installed? What sort of speeds are you getting with a normal tape backup?

partial_hyper-v
Level 4

sorry for the late reply...

the symantec drivers were from 2008 according to the device manager... where can I get newer ones?

the final speed for the job was 1.890 MB/min on host2 and 633 MB/min on host1 -> same drivers, same raid -configuration. 

surprise

Another problem is that I'm getting a leo-warning, although I've disabled one drive per host...

I don't know whats wrong... Yes I've restartet the BE-services twice because the library went offline in the device-tab and I couldn't bring it online again...

CraigV

You will continue to get that warning because BE detects that extra drive. You might want to physically remove it, and then run the Device Configuration Wizard again to see if that resolves the LEO issue.

You will find the drivers here...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=15047&channel=TECHNICAL_SOLUTION&basecat=DOWNLOADS&version=58236

partial_hyper-v
Level 4

i've installed the patch, used tapeinst and now there are unsigned drivers from 02-12-2008 by symantec corporation... :(

CraigV

They would be unsigned in Windows AFAIK.

You can also reboot that second server to see if this resolves anything.

What files are being backed up on Server 2? Small files? Are your NICs hard-coded to the fastest they can run at, along with the ports on the switch?

partial_hyper-v
Level 4

I'm trying to duplicate a vhd-file-backup so there are only a few very large files affected. iSCSI is as fast as possible (2 * 1 gbit/s multipath) tested with a Dell MD3000i. Jumbo-Frames are configured to 9000 bytes on both sides. I think it's a driver/BE related issue. After a quick delete of a tape I reach only 800 mb/min, before deleting the tape it was about 2000 mb/min...