cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow backups

Russ_Hazzon
Level 2
I'm running Backup Exec 10d on an HP Proliant server under Windows Server 2003. The backup device is an external HP DAT72 External Drive connected via USB. The server has more than enough power to spare.

I run a daily backup that backs up approx 22 gigs of data. A backup with verify takes around 4 hours each day. This seems to be extremely slow and I'm trying to determine how to increase backup speeds. Settings are as follows:

Compression Enabled
Block Size 64K
Buffer Size 64K
Buffer Count 10
High Water Count 7

Read Single Block Mode, Write Single Block Mode, Read SCSI pass-through mode, Write SCSI pass-through mode are all unchecked.

Any ideas on how to speed up the backup process?
4 REPLIES 4

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Check the throughput of the USB drive. According to some sources, while USB 2 allows for 480Mbps transfer speeds in theory, some devices like HDD's will only handle speeds of 40Mbps, which with the job doing a verify as well would work out about right with what you're seeing. If the server has an external SCSI port then I'd consider changing the tape drive to a SCSI one instead of USB.

The page I used for reference is http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please could you provide an update with regards to this case?

Thanks

Adam_Frederick
Level 3
Turning off the verify feature should speed it up quite a bit.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

It is recommended not to turn off the verify option. In that case we would not gurantee that data would be restored.

Thanks