cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow performance with BE 12.5

scottgh
Level 3

On Monday we moved from Backup Exec 10d to Backup Exec 12.5.  We uninstalled 10d and installed / patched 12.5 with the required reboots in between, and we recreated all of our jobs from scratch.

Backup performance on 12.5 has been extremely slow compared to 10d.  Jobs that would take minutes to run are now taking hours.  Job rates have dropped to ~100MB/min on average backing up up to LTO3.  Initially we were doing backups to the local volume (disk) on the backup server, but noticed these very low job rates and thought there were disk contention issues so went back to writing directly to LTO3 as we had the jobs in 10d configured to do.  We are seeing the exact same slow throughput rates.

We have noticed this poor performance with our SQL agent, Exchange agent and during regular file backup from a file server.

Backup Exec 12.5 is installed onto a PowerVault 745n running Windows Server 2003 with a gig of memory.  The entire network infrastructure is on gigabit.  File copies to and from the backup server are much, much faster than ~100MB/min.

What are we doing wrong that we've noticed such a drastic performance decrease going to 12.5?  If we have to go back to 10d it will throw a wrench in things as I don't believe the agents will be compatible with the SQL 2k8 and Exchange 2k7 servers we will be rolling out in the coming months.

Thanks in advance for help / suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If file copies are fast, then it is not mis-configured NICs/Switches

Do local backs crawl also?

Is the tape drive on a dedicated controller, or at the very least a dedicated channel?

When doing the B2D, was that to a volume on a different channel?

scottgh
Level 3
Thank you for the reply Ken.

Local backups run fairly slow as well, between 110 MB/min and 250MB/min.  Faster than any remote machines, but still much slower than what we were seeing out of 10d.

The tape drive is on a dedicated controller, nothing else is on it, the drives in the system are on their own controller.

The B2D was using a single volume on a single controller (partitioned into two drives, one OS partition, one storage partition).  It is 4 drives in RAID 5, so that was where my concerns about disk contention came from.  The plan was going to be split it up so that there are two volumes, each being a mirror, one for OS and one for data.  With the poor performance to tape however I'm concerned that this reconfiguration of the B2D won't help things.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sounds like you've covered all the  bases.  I can't think of anyting else to check

Guess you'll have to wait for someone else to jump in (I've seen Ben from Symantec posting recently) or else open an incident with Symantec   :(

dave2318
Not applicable
Hi scottgh, did you ever get this resolved? We have exactly the same problem here.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Have you an antivirus software installed on the medi server.
Be sure that "removable storage" service is disabled.

Thanks