cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista x64 and RAWS

Michael_McKenne
Level 6

Why hasn't Symantec developed a cost effective RAWS agent for Vista x64 on workgroups.   I am being forced to pay $400+ for RAWS to backup my Vista x64 workstation.  Why can't they take the RAWS agent and make a cheaper version just for Vista? 

Why can't I back just my Vista x64 data without the RAWS agent installed?  I can't connect to the shares. 

Message Edited by Michael McKenney on 12-11-2008 10:12 AM
6 REPLIES 6

benjamin_jun
Level 2
Partner

Hi~

My name is benjamin. Call me Ben.

By the way.

If you see Backup Exec 12.5 SCL(Software Compatibility List), you can install BEWS on Vista x64.

You see below, then you can comfirm it.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf

Have a nice day.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6

Yes, 12.5 RAWS should work fine in Vista x64.  It was installed 3 weeks ago.  The trial ran out.  I uninstalled it.  When I bought it last week, $430, I could not get 12.5 RAWS to reinstall.  v12 RAWS installs fine.   I reverted back to BE v12.  

I have a support contract.  I called support.  They could not figure out why I get the error 1603.  After trying Install Agent inside BE 12.5 and directly installing it from the RAWSx64 folder, I gave up and installed v12.

I was wondering if one of the hot fixes broke it. 

Thrawn
Level 3

You might want to double check on why you are paying for the workstation license. To my understanding, licensed RAWS agents are needed for server operating systems and unlicensed RAWS agents are allowed for desktop/workstation software. 

Which version of Vista are you using? 

Ross 

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Vista x64 needs a RAWS agent to get Backup Exec to communicate.   I called Symantec and complained.  A $400 agent to backup a workstation.  Symantec could give us a break on the agent for Vista.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Vista has always been like this (since v11d anyway)

required a paid serial for the RAWS and also requires a paid AOFO in order to get the systrem state

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I could not even access the shares to backup without the RAWS installed.  $400 for an RAWS agent for Vista x64 is not right.  Symantec could make a Vista only version of RAWS for under $100 or include 5 Vista workstation license for workgroup users.  I don't blame Microsoft for making Vista more secure.  I blame Symantec for not giving use a Vista x64 agent that is affordable.