cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2K8 SP1 + BE12.5 - Snapshot provider error (0xE000FEC9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata

BriKi
Level 2
Im running Windows 2008 SP1 + BE12.5 (latest updates) to an ultrium tape drive.  It also backs up 2 other servers on the network.
Backup has been running fine for the best part of a year and all of a sudden I am receiving these error messages;

AOFO: Started for resource: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
V-79-57344-65225 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

And

Backup- SERVERNAMEV-79-57344-65225 -- A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
V-79-57344-65225 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FEC9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Event viewer does not give any more information.
I've checked that the VSS services can start/stop without problem.  They are set to manual startup.
I've checked 'vssadmin list writers' and all are stable with no errors.

The job will backup files from other remote servers but not the W2K8 server which is running the software.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Refer to this link http://support.veritas.com/docs/347457  for a  workaround.

BriKi
Level 2
Thanks Amol

The bedsshadow.dll was in a different folder to the instructions (in \symantec\backup exec\) but followed the steps successfully.