cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: "<MAILBOX>?Top of Information Store?Inbox? <FILE_NAME>" is a corru

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

I am running SBS 2003 Standard with Exchange Server 2003 version 6.5.6944 and Veritas Vackup Exec for Windows Servers, Small Business Server Suite version 9.1 Rev 4691.

Last week we applied the most recent updates to Veritas. Now, we are receiving the following message:

"WARNING: "?Top of Information Store?Inbox? " is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify. "

I have looked up document 231185 and 255047. These documents lead me to believe the problem should not exist in Backup Exec 9.1.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks,

TFISHER
12 REPLIES 12

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi Terry

Have you made sure that none of the following is true in your case?
* Anti-virus software accessing the Information Store at the same time as the backup, i.e. using the same messaging API as Backup Exec does (it is then recommended to stop anti-virus software services when backing up the mailboxes).
* Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message etc.). Remove message.
* Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.). Remove message.
* The message / attachment is really corrupt (can't be opened, viewed, or executed). Remove message.
* Virus infected Information Store (clean for virus)
* Very long subject lines. Remove message.
* Very long attachment names. Remove message.
* Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors). Remove message.

========================
Additional Information :

For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:

Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

This just started to occur after the recent Veritas updates were applied a few days ago. Nothing else has changed on the box!

Some of the things in the list you provided from the KB article are true, but, they were true before the updates were applied and we did not have these errors.

According to the KB, the files are backed up. Why in the hell does the log show that the backup failed???? Apparently, everything else backed up without a problem. Why not say, "finished with exceptions" or something like that??

If we upgrade to version 10, will the errors go away?

Thanks,

TFISHER

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

I have not heard back from you from my last post.

This problem started with the installation of SP2 and the security patch. Before that, we did not receive this error message. The e-mail messages in question are regularly send to us as part of a list serve.

This appears to be a problem with SP2 and/or the security patch.

Not running Anti-virus and/or deleting the messages is really not a very good answer.

If we upgrade to version 10, will this problem go away????

Thanks,

TFISHER

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This issue can occur if " the Exchange Agent and the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) are simultaneously trying to back up the Exchange Information Store"

If this is the case then, to resolve this issue, clear either the Exchange server selection under ShadowCopyComponents\Userdata or the selection for Microsoft Information Store

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answer]ed and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

Thanks for your response.

Where do I make the selections you suggest?

Thanks,

TFISHER

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Under the shadow copy components-user data-clear the exchange server selection

Please update us the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Thanks,

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

When I open the Backup Job Properties under Job Setup, Select Source, then Selections, I do not have a checkmark in the Shadow Copy Compnonents checkbox. When I click the + sign next to Shadow Copy Components and User Data, I only have SQL Server listed under User Data. I do not have a listing for Exchange Server.

I do have a checkmark in Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes and the individual mailboxes are checked to be backed up. This selection is located under Local Selections, not Shadow Copy Compenents.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

TFISHER

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

After the upgrade please make sure that you have upgraded the remote agents and options to the latest versions.

Please re-create the backup job.

If a particular mail is marked as corrupt you may try excluding this from the backup selections.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

I re-created the backup job. The error still persists.

There is nothing remarkable about the e-mails that are purportedly corrupt (I say "purportedly corrupt" because the backup log tells me they are being backed up and the messages can be read by the user). In fact, they are not corrupt at all. There are no attachments. There are no long header messages.

What I do not understand is why these specific e-mails are receiving the purported error. There are thousands of messages in the Exchange Server -- only 4 are being marked as corrupt.

Night after night, these same e-mails are coming up as corrupt. It does not seem reasonable that the Anti-virus would conflict with only these specific messages.

If Veritas is indeed backing these messages up, why does the backup job say "FAILED."

Again, I ask whether upgrading to version 10 will solve this problem. -- Of course, looking to a different backup option may be the best choice.

Not very happy about this issue!

TFISHER

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you using Exchange SP4?

When backing up single mailboxes, some of the messages with attachments are being seen as corrupt by Backup Exec (tm).

As quoted from Microsoft Article ID: Q241278:
"The Exchange Server information store can return a remote procedure call (RPC) response to the client's RPC request indicating that the buffer size required for the RPC data is greater than the maximum allowable buffer size (32 KB). The client handles this request to set up an "illegal" buffer size as a memory error."

This does not in any way affect the online backup of the Information Store(s).

The results below are returned when SGMon.exe is used to diagnose the issue:

428: MAPIMsg::ReadAttach(): m_pAttach->GetProps() Failed!!
Error Msg = There is not enough memory available to perform the operation.
Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
LowLevelError: 0x000003f1 context: 1292
Return Code: 0x8007000e

Note: This issue is fixed in Microsoft Exchange Service Pack 4.

For more detailed information, please refer to Microsoft Article ID: Q241278 ( http://support.microsoft.com ).

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

We are using Exchange version 6.5.6944 running on Windows SBS 2003.

TFISHER

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Upgrading to Backup Exec 10.0 may not resolve this issue. However you may upgrade to SP3 of 9.1 and verify the results.
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 3
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278302

Additional Information :