cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOL

create_share
Level 6
Hi!

Is there an option in Backup Exec 2010 for automatically Waking up the server for Backup Job and then shutting it down after its completion?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

No, if the server is power off, backup exec is not capable of turing ON the server, perform backups and turn it OFF again...

it is not a HUMAN BEING.......

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What you can do is enable auto-poweron in the bios of your server, and configure the backup-job after the backup has finished to shutdown the computer.
But why would you shutdown the server ?

teiva-boy
Level 6
This should be pretty easy to do I would think with a pre and post command script?  You need to write the scripts, and supply the magic packet software though

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Agree with teiva-boy that what you want to do should be achievable through pre- and post- commands.  The only thing to watch out for is the timing.  After you sent the magic packet to wake the server up,  you need to wait sufficient long for the server to boot up before you can start backing it up.  I am not sure how you are going to do this.   You might have to schedule the wake-up call using the AT command way before the backup job starts.

teiva-boy
Level 6
In hind sight, I would script out the ENTIRE thing, using fee tools to wake the server, a pause command, becmd.exe, and the Windows scheduler.

create_share
Level 6
Thank you all for your replies and help. I know that we can configure bios to start the server at a specific time and it is also possible to use a software to wake up the server using WOL magic packets.

The purpose of asking for the start up option in Backup Exec was that the server is on a remote location. It is a very small server machine and there is no internal it support there. Configuring start up settings in bios is not possible remotely as everybody knows. Now the only option left is to use AT Command (never tried) as teiva-boy suggested to start the server and then let Backup Exec shut down the server after backup job completion if possible.

Thanks!