cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning messages on Exchange 2003 at start of information store backups

Skull_One
Level 2
Partner

We had a client recently upgrade from BE 10 to BE 12.5.  We love it and it has cut their backup times down from 24+ hours to ~9 hours by using the Exchange GRT technology and not having to backup the indivudual e-mail messages. 

I recently noticed that the exchange server is getting the following performance warnings now, and have tracked the times back to right after BE starts the Exchange Information store backups.

-------------

Event Type:        Warning

Event Source:    ESE

Event Category:                Performance

Event ID:              510

Date:                     1/22/2009

Time:                    2:32:20 AM

User:                     N/A

Computer:          Exchange Server

Description:

Information Store (3400) First Storage Group: A request to write to the file "X:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb" at offset 20447232 (0x0000000001380000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (176 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. In addition, 2 other I/O requests to this file have also taken an abnormally long time to be serviced since the last message regarding this problem was posted 24 seconds ago. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

----------------

Is this something we should be worried about or usual?  Their information store is currently ~107GB in size and we still have ~100GB of free space on the drive to expand out with.  That drive is NOT defragmented any because of the performance complaints accessing it when that is happening.

Is there a different way that we might be able to look at configuring the backups to be less envasive? 

We are using AOFO with MS VSS and this might just be the "pause" time as the VSS is created.

Please let me know if you need any more specifics on the backup setup and I'll pass it along as needed/requested.

1 REPLY 1

MAHESHN
Level 4

ideally the recommendation would be run seperate jobs utilizing non AOFO backup method just for exchange Information store ... see if the error Re occurs if yes try running a Native windows backup ( Ntbackup just for Information store ) to see if it goes through , cause if the error remains same, you would need to run MS tool ESEUtil to get the exchange database to a consistent state... or contact MS to guid you through same

regards,