cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: "nameOfFile" is a corrupt File: Back Up Fails

Sarfaraz_Patel
Level 3
hello all,
I submitted a post recently to get help on why the backup kept on failing for the past three days.
I just went through the job log again this morning and found out that for the past three days, there was an error while backing up one of the database:

The error was:
WARNING: "name of database" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
However there is also a statement in the log which says:
1 corrupt file was backed up

1) Can anyone please tell me why this is file corrupt becuase it is actually a database and there has been no reported faults by the users of this database.

2) When it says "1 corrupt file was backed up" does it actually mean that this database was fully backed up.

thanks.
saf
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What kind of databse is it?

Was it open at the time that it was backed up?

Sarfaraz_Patel
Level 3
hi ken,
it was a SQL server database.
Previously the back up was done overnight (no users present) in one single tape. But now it spans on two tapes.I insert the second tape in the morning and I guess there is a possibility that users would be using the database at that time.

I did a search and came across an article from veritas support of using OFO approach which will allow to back up files/databases even when they are opened. Am I going in the right direction?
cheers,
saf

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
DO NOT rely on OFO for database backups. It wasn't designed for that at all

The only way to safely backup an open database is with an Agent (MSSQL, Exchange, Oracle, Notes)

Since you copy of BackupExec is so old, you will probably not be able to find a database serial, except maybe on EBay or one of the other Auction sites

Sarfaraz_Patel
Level 3
Just inserted the second tape, after users have gone home (5:30 uk time) and still it failed.
Checked the logs and same error : curropt file.

I am thinking now:
Do i get myself cartridges with more than 20GB native so that it saves the hassel of changing the tapes every morning and hence the issue with corrupts files when users are using the database. Are there anyt tapes in the market with more than 20GB native?.

or

do i install another tape drive so that backup exec automatically picks up the second tape (i dont wanna be doing this to be honest)

Would OFO really not work??

thanks
saf

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Larger capacity tapes may or may not work, depending on what kind of drive you have.

Getting a second drive would work. If they are the same type, you should be able to set up a "Cascaded Drive Pool" and have the backup job roll from one to the other when the first fills up

Or you could split the job into two jobs, and run them concurrently to the two drives.