cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to backup all parameters in BackupExec before a fresh reinstallation on the same server ?

Rafdzile
Level 2

I have to make a fresh reinstallation of a backup server (actually windows 2003 +  backup exec 11d rev 7170) with windows 2003 and backup exec 12, but I'd like to keep everything in the configuration (jobs, inventory, db, etc.) before I format the server. (we must format it !)

How to backup all parameters of backup exec 11, keep it in a safe place during the installation and restore it when the server is up again, with the jobs still working, the same inventory as before, etc. etc.
And what about the agents ? Do I have to uninstall its on all servers (reboot) and reinstall with the new version of the server (reboot again) ??

I found different articles about how to copy media server conf to a file and apply to a media server (not what I want) or to move the conf to another server (can't do that)....

Does anyone have an idea which the best way to complete this ?

Thanks

Rafdzile

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The problem you have is that when an in-place upgrade from one version of Backup Exec to another is performed, changes are made inside the
database which means you cannot just copy an 11D database into a 12.x server and expect everything to work.

There are three choices:
A) Copy the data and catalog folders to a safe location, then rebuild the server with 11D, copy the DB and catalog data back and then do an in-place upgrade to 12.x.
B) Upgrade the existing server to 12.x, then Copy the data and catalog folders to a safe location, then rebuild the server with 12.x, copy the DB and catalog data back.
C) Copy the data and catalog fodlers to a safe location, then rebuild the server with 12.x, copy the DB and catalog data back, but before you start all the Backup Exec services use BEMIG.EXE to upgrade the database (note you will need to start the SQL instance and a reg change is needed to use BEMIG) - suggest you do some reserach into using bemig.exe if you intend to use this method.

There are some impotant points that apply to all options
- if you are changing the installation paths as part of this work, then the Catalogs and Database location changes are not an issue, but the job logs for any old jobs will not be available in the GUI console, although will still be directly accessible from their folders in an informatted version.
- if the server name is being changed then an additional step to edit the server name reference inside the database will be required.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I'd backup the following:

1. SQL database if you're using the SQL instance
2. Data folder in your installation directory

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 Please Backup Data and the catalogs folder located in C:\Program Files\Symantec\BackupExec (By Default). 

Data Folder containg your job settings and other stuff and Catalog contains the information regarding what you have on your tapes .

You don't have to reinstall the software on the client . If the server name and the Backup Exec version is not going to change. 

Once you reinstall backup exec , Just replace those folders with the one you have copied from old installtion .

Remember , You'll have to stop all BE services inclusing SQLSERVERBKUPEXEC as well.

Rafdzile
Level 2

so I have to reinstall the agents on all servers because I'll change the version from 11 to 12.

what do you think of this idea ?

before formatting the server, I upgrade BackupExec to the version 12, so the SQL db will be in the good format.
I deploy the agents from the new version (I don't know if I have to uninstall the old agent before)
when it is done, I backup the "BackupExec" Folder and start the new installation of windows 2003

Regards,
Raphaël

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The problem you have is that when an in-place upgrade from one version of Backup Exec to another is performed, changes are made inside the
database which means you cannot just copy an 11D database into a 12.x server and expect everything to work.

There are three choices:
A) Copy the data and catalog folders to a safe location, then rebuild the server with 11D, copy the DB and catalog data back and then do an in-place upgrade to 12.x.
B) Upgrade the existing server to 12.x, then Copy the data and catalog folders to a safe location, then rebuild the server with 12.x, copy the DB and catalog data back.
C) Copy the data and catalog fodlers to a safe location, then rebuild the server with 12.x, copy the DB and catalog data back, but before you start all the Backup Exec services use BEMIG.EXE to upgrade the database (note you will need to start the SQL instance and a reg change is needed to use BEMIG) - suggest you do some reserach into using bemig.exe if you intend to use this method.

There are some impotant points that apply to all options
- if you are changing the installation paths as part of this work, then the Catalogs and Database location changes are not an issue, but the job logs for any old jobs will not be available in the GUI console, although will still be directly accessible from their folders in an informatted version.
- if the server name is being changed then an additional step to edit the server name reference inside the database will be required.

Rafdzile
Level 2

I have already copied the Symantec\BackupExec folder to a safe location, with the DB, I had to stop the SQL Backupexec service, I don't know if there is something else.

May I upgrade directly the version of backup exec to the 12.x on the server with 11d, without rebuild, so the sql db is in the good format, then I backup the BackupExec Folder.
I make the fresh installation of windows 2003 + backup exec 12.x, I copy the data, so I don't need BEMIG.EXE because the db is already ok ?

thanks
Regards,
Rafdzile

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 Yes , You can directly upgrade from BE 11d to 12.5 . Then if you reinstall the OS and BE 12.5 . You just have to place the old data and catalog folder , no need to anything additional.