cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference Adance Open file VS Open file backup option?

Shiu_Fung_Cheun
Level 4
Dear all,
I am quite confuse on this 2 technology. As I know Adance Open file will take a snapshot then backup the file base on the snapshot. How about the Open File backup option? What is the difference when I choose "With a Lock" and "without Lock"? Since when I use the "With Lock" Option. Job will fail with the following error:

Final error: 0xa000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered - See job log for details.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup - \\HKSRV011\MRCHRWIN Database or database element is corrupt
Backup - \\HKSRV010\D: Local DiskDatabase or database element is corrupt

HKSRV011backing up a SQL database file while HKSRV010 is just a file server, no database inside.
When I change the Open file option to "Never", no problem but the file is skipped and the job will said there is a exception on it. I don't know is it normal or not.
Thanks in advacne
1 REPLY 1

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to these technotes to have more inofrmation about the Advanced Open file option:

1. Title: What is the intended use of the Open File Option and the Advanced Open File Option?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263784

2. Title: Basic Backup Exec Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) information

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275975

1. With Lock : Select this option to have Backup Exec attempt to open files that are in use. If Backup Exec is able to open a file, the file is locked while it is being backed up to prevent other processes from writing to it.
Backing up open files is not as effective as closing applications and allowing the files to be backed up in a consistent state.

2. Without a lock : Select this option to have Backup Exec attempt to open files that are in use. If Backup Exec is able to open the file, the file is NOT locked while it is being backed up. This allows other applications to write
data to the file during the backup operation.

Hope this helps!

=========================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved toanswered questions pool.