cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Overwritable media needed for an append job that spans tapes?

Corbett_Merrill
Level 3
As we all know when an append job runs out of tape it requires overwritable media even if appendable media is available in the media set.

Can someone please explain why overwritable media is needed? Why doesn't the software have the ability to span to appendable media?

It seems that if the software has the ability to append to a tape at the beginning of the job then it should still have the ability to append to a tape when spanning to the next tape.

Thanks for your thoughts.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
It is just a design decision that has been around since v6.11 that I know of.

You could post a suggestion to http://enhancement.veritas.com/members/nondisclosure_new.asp

Corbett_Merrill
Level 3
Thanks, Ken. I submitted my request back in the version 8 and 9 days and just submitted it again. I assumed that if they haven't changed this by now that there was a technical reason for not supporting appending to spanned tapes. But you are saying that that there isn't a technical reason for handling it this way.

Maybe they will do something if a whole buch of people submit it as an enhancement request.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Backwards compatibility gone mad perhaps?!? Maybe dates back to ye olde days with reel to reel tapes, no indexing, and starting at the beginning and working through to the end.

Anyone have any REALLY old tape equipment to test it out on! :)

Corbett_Merrill
Level 3
I received this from tech support regarding this issue. I don't understand how data gets written to tapes. Does what they are saying make sense?

Support: "This is how backup exec writes data to media while an append job. First media will be appendable media is searched as per the media management. Once this is full, it needs a second media but also needs to write the header information of the previous media on this second tape. however as teh 2nd media is already having some data and its header stored so it cannot just overwrite teh previous media's header inforamtion and put this new jobs header information. If this was possible then your media s would get corrupted. Header information is alweays written at the start of the media hence we cannot write the header information anywhere."

Corbett: "How does the header information get updated on the first tape when appending?"

Support: "Because the header at the end of the data is also having the lead out information."