cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will running BE 15 on Server 2012 R2 will solve the 4k sector VSS issue on drives

dori_bashan
Level 6

Hi

we have BE 2015 running on Win Server 2008 R2

we have a raid volume that conmation the new native 4k secotr,and therfore we are getting the VSS errors as seen here:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000086774

can someone confirm that upgarding to Win Server 2012R2 will solve this issue and i will be able to create VSS snapshot from the 4k sector drive?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Basically Microsoft did not officially support 4k sectors in Windows 2008 (even though drives with 4k format seemed to work OK for basic use)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2510009

Even though the 4K drives appeared to work at a basic level more advanced concepts (relating to VSS, database technologies and/or backups) failed, although in most cases worked if you reformatted to 512e

At the end of the day getting onto Windows 2012 or later at least gets you MS support which should fix VSS (which by the way Backup Exec uses but is not responsible for how it works with 4K) As such against your VSS question you should talk to the vendor of the VSS Provider that has the problem and/or Microsoft to confirm if 4K is an issue.

BE 15 has been tested with some 4K scenarios (you might of course have implemented a scenario we have not tested however if you have a problem we won't deny support if you are on Windows 2012) For BE there may still be some scenarios with limitations against 4K (For instance we may still have a problem with Exchange transaction logs using one sector size against the volume on the Exchange server and a different sector size for your Backup to Disk device for instance - I can't find documentation indicating that this is resolved although we did fix a false identificatiion of this condition that was causing failures where it should have worked.)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mike_Reubens
Level 2

I would also like to know the answer to this please.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Basically Microsoft did not officially support 4k sectors in Windows 2008 (even though drives with 4k format seemed to work OK for basic use)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2510009

Even though the 4K drives appeared to work at a basic level more advanced concepts (relating to VSS, database technologies and/or backups) failed, although in most cases worked if you reformatted to 512e

At the end of the day getting onto Windows 2012 or later at least gets you MS support which should fix VSS (which by the way Backup Exec uses but is not responsible for how it works with 4K) As such against your VSS question you should talk to the vendor of the VSS Provider that has the problem and/or Microsoft to confirm if 4K is an issue.

BE 15 has been tested with some 4K scenarios (you might of course have implemented a scenario we have not tested however if you have a problem we won't deny support if you are on Windows 2012) For BE there may still be some scenarios with limitations against 4K (For instance we may still have a problem with Exchange transaction logs using one sector size against the volume on the Exchange server and a different sector size for your Backup to Disk device for instance - I can't find documentation indicating that this is resolved although we did fix a false identificatiion of this condition that was causing failures where it should have worked.)

dori_bashan
Level 6

Intesting.

Thank you for that info

we only do large video files backups

no databases

i guess it will work, but it will be a pain to make the upgarde and find out that there are still VSS issues.