cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window to add license keys never opens

jb1023
Level 3

I have BE 12.5 installed on Win08 R2 x-64.  When I installed the software on a new server, old one was retired, I apparently forgot to install the keys and thus installed it as a trial version.  I was just notified that my "trial" has expired and now my jobs are failing.  I went to Tools -> Install Options and License keys on this Media Server, as usual when adding agent keys.  However when i did this the only thing that showed up was the install window where I could repair/remove BE or install remote agents.  Is this happening because my trial actually expired or did something not install correctly 62 days ago?  I have rebooted the server, restarted the services, run the repair, installed all available updates.  Is there anything else I can do short of uninstalling and reinstalling?  Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Firstly, BE 12.5 was never certified for usage on Win 2k8 R2 systems. Would strongly suggest to install BE 2010 & above (either R1 or R2 or R3) & you can obtain the appropriate 2010 license keys from our Customer Care.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

v12.5 only supports W2K8 R2 via RAWS

You need 2010R1  to use W2K8R2 as a media server

jb1023
Level 3

It has been running great for the past 60 days and only when the trial ran out did my jobs fail and I discovered this issue of not being able to install the license keys.  Upgrading to BE 2010 is unfortunately not in the budget but if that is a problem then I will stage the server again and install Win08 and not the R2 version.

VJware
Level 6

If you still want to run this version of BE on the Win 2k8 R2 system ( and you have no issues if further complications arise ), then the only other option is to un-install & then re-install the software with the license keys.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would suggest that you use Server 2008 and not Server 2008 R2 as your media server.  Even if you resolve this problem, there might be others later and you would not be able to open a support case with Symnantec if you use Server 2008 R2 as a media server.

AmolB

In the Add/remove programs, highlight Symantec Backup Exec and then click on "Change"

In the wizard you will get an option of "Additional Options" which will allow to enter license keys.

For long run you should also consider the suggestions provided by PKH, KEN and Vjware

jb1023
Level 3

Thanks all for the replys.  Amol, unfortunately when I click on "Change" I get the same Program Maintenance window and "Additional Options" is still greyed out.  I think I am going to have to stage the server and install Win08.  My own fault for not doing my due dilligence and verifying compatibility beforehand.  Thanks again all.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You still can migrate the all you backup jobs and configuration to the new server using Bemig. Just make a backup of the data and the catalog folder .