cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2003 Exchange 2003

Jan_Lee
Level 3
Getting an error message when trying to backup Exhange first store and system state. Other stores backup OK
Access to a device was not authorized with this version of backup exec. We are using version 10.00 of backup exec and Exchange agent
29 REPLIES 29

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
I take it you have delegated control in the 'First Administrative Group'?
And there the backup account should have Exchange Administrator of Full Administrator rights.

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
Split the Exchange backup job.
So, one job for the IS and one for the Public folders.

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
I'm stuck on this 'this edition' you're mentioning.
The license you bought is not making some sort of compact edition out of the BEWS package so you actually can't even use this to backup Exchange?

Jan_Lee
Level 3
I delegated myself permission to all of exchange, I split the backup and under Microsoft Information Stores I just choose the first storage group and then just the public folder store. It failed immediately with the "Backup 00016 -- The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec." message.

The same happened with the mailbox store

Jan_Lee
Level 3
Our licenses install OK and are for windows and exchange. We are using Exchange Enterprise edition.The system backs up all the Mailbox Storage groups that I created successfully. The only storage group that is not backing up is the First one that is created when installing Exchange.

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
Not sure, but I thought you specifically needed to delegate control to the First Administrative Group.

Jan_Lee
Level 3
The delegation is inherited throughout all exchange. So by giving a user delegation to the top level, all stores are given the list of delegated users

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
Yep, I know...it's working top down with those rights.
But I thought I read somewhere that for some things you specifically need to have the account under First Administrative Group.

I might be completely incorrect there, but I only have the BE-services account under First Administrative Group (so not in top-level) and am not experiencing any issues.

Jan_Lee
Level 3
Installed an evaluation copy of 10d and the whole thing backed up OK. Installed the licenses we have and it failed with the same error message. Checked what licenses were listed and the same ones were installed as in the evaluation copy

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please Update us on the issue..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.