cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2003 & Exchange 2003 user name change results failed backup

Kyle_Tromblee
Level 2
One of our users got married so we changed her user account name, let's say from ADoe to ASmith. The user name was changed through the Active Directory Users and Computers console on our sole mailserver which runs Exchange 2003. Now when we run our monthly backups we receive the following error messages:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 at 1:59:07 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe09 - The directory is invalid.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65033

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\MAILSERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory Anne Doe and its subdirectories.

When looking in the Exchange Systems Manager and Active directory, I see no remnants of her old last name Doe.

What is interesting is that in our Veritas 10.0, we used to specifically backup her mailbox under the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes for our monthly backups, but NOT for our daily backups. Only our monthly backups receive this error. What is also interesting is that in the Backup Selection Lists in Veritas, under the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, her name appears as "Anne Smith " Note the two different last names. I tried unchecking this mailbox from the monthly backup but I still received the error.

I have not created a new Backup Selection List yet, but I still see the "Anne Smith " listed in the new Backup Selection List when I go to create one.

Also, our mailbox retention period is set to 30 days and it has been several months and we still get this error.

Our servers are all Windows Server 2003.

Thank you for your help
3 REPLIES 3

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Kyle

can you not purge the problematic mailbox in question instead of having the retention period of 30 days? Does the user with the new name not appear in the selection list? Editing the selection doesn't help or what?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kyle_Tromblee
Level 2
The user's account has not been deleted, it has only been renamed, and I do not want to delete all of that user's email.

In the Backup Selection Lists in Veritas, under the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, her name appears as "Anne Smith " Notice the combination of her previous name and current name. I tried unchecking this mailbox from the monthly backup selection list but I still received the same error.

Thank you

Kyle_Tromblee
Level 2
Well, I created a new selection list from scratch and used that new one instead. Even though the new and old selection lists look exactly the same, the new selection list does not give an error. =)