cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With or without the exchange agent

EGL_Roger
Not applicable
I am a green on backup exec and so I need some advice.
I am check on the Backupexec SBS version, will be used on a SBS 08 server. The feature say it support the exchange backup, but I see there is an option to purchase the exchange agent.
Here comes the question; do i need this exchange agent? what be benetfit from the agent?
I know my question is somehow little bit "childish", but please help. Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Roger,

Well, with the agent you can do online backups of your INformation Store. It means the IS is never dismounted for backups OR restores, and that means no disruption to your users. Selecting the IS automatically excludes any Exchange files (like *.stm, *.edb etc) from backups which might have caused issues.
Not using the agent would see you having to stop Exchange, dismount the Information Store, backup the files, and then remount the Information Store, which is not really beneficial.
From my perspective, we run the Exchange agent because of the above issues with not using it, so I would strongly suggest you invest in the agent.

Laters!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Hi Roger,

Well, with the agent you can do online backups of your INformation Store. It means the IS is never dismounted for backups OR restores, and that means no disruption to your users. Selecting the IS automatically excludes any Exchange files (like *.stm, *.edb etc) from backups which might have caused issues.
Not using the agent would see you having to stop Exchange, dismount the Information Store, backup the files, and then remount the Information Store, which is not really beneficial.
From my perspective, we run the Exchange agent because of the above issues with not using it, so I would strongly suggest you invest in the agent.

Laters!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The SBS license itself should cover the Exchange server on the SBS box.  that is one of the reasons that the SBS license costs more than the base license

if you were backing up Exchange on another server, then you would need an Exchange license (which would include the Remote Agent)

CraigV
Hi Roger,

Any news here?