cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with multi-volumes

Dianne_Carbonne
Level 3
What is the exact procedure for restoring files from a multi-volume set created by Backup Exec at another location. I seemed to have tried everything but the correct way.
As a simple example, Here's what I've done:
Insert tape 1 of 2 into drive2
Inventory that tape
Eject that tape
Insert tape 2 of 2 into drive2
Inventory that tape
Eject that tape
Re-insert tape 1 of 2 into drive2
Inventory that tape (again)
Catalog the tape.
Software calls for next tape.
Insert tape 2 of 2 into drive 2
Catalog procedure runs but gives a "FAILED" status with the message that One or more pieces of media in the media family being cataloged has not been inventoried

Where have I gone wrong?
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds right.

Are you sure that this is only a two volume set, not three or more?

You can try shutting down all BackupExec services, then renaming the \Catalogs folder (eg to \Catalogs.sav)
then restart the services, inventory and catalog again.

Dianne_Carbonne
Level 3
This is truly a 2-tape set. Renaming the catalog directory sounds like kind-of a last resort effort.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
That's just to remove all traces of that backup set, after you are finished cataloging, if you can, move the U01 files into the real catalogs dir and rename back

Forgot to mention when doing the catalog, be sure to de-select "use media based catalogs"

In fact, give that a try before the rename procedure

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Had you followed the steps mentioned by Mr.Putnam in the previous threads? What is the status of the problem now? If it persists, can you specify the exact error message you get? Also check if you get any errors related to media in the Windows event system logs.

For more information, refer to the following technote:

Title: What is the "Use storage media-based catalogs" option in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) and what are the effects of clearing this checkbox?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/200962

Hope this helps resolve the problem.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Dianne_Carbonne
Level 3
When I have a whole day, I'll try clearing the media-catalog checkbox. The error message is as follows: (Job: "Catalog 0045") Catalog 0045 -- The job failed with the following error: One or more pieces of media in the media family being cataloged has not been inventoried. No objects on these media may be cataloged.

This is the only error in the system event log. Does this have anything to do with the fact that we're using 4mm tapes? Remember, I'm trying to catalog tapes that were made by Backup Exec at another site.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

It does not have anything to do with 4mm tapes. Please inventory and catalog them as per instructions provided. Revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dianne_Carbonne
Level 3
I give up -- maybe this just doesn't work. I can inventory & catalog tapes till they wear out, but Backup Exec never thinks I've done all the tapes ....

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Have you tried renaming the catalogs folder and trying to create new catalogs?
- Have you created catalogs by unchecking the "use media based catalogs" option?

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.