cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Netware file compression explain seemingly corrupted restored files in Windows 2003?

N__Janette
Level 2
I'm trying to help someone restore files from a server (Windows 2000) that lost all hard disk data, but hard regular backups from an unknown version of BE.  One the system we're trying to restore onto we've loaded Windows Server 2003 with all major updates and the trial version of BE 11d with all twelve available updates from Live Update.  The tapes are 20/40 4mm DAT media.

We've worked past a previous problem (posted here) and can now restore from each tape after an inventory/catalog and can redirect the restore path to use the local system rather than the original client target name, which seems to have involved Netware.  The default restore paths of the catalogs seems to use a Netware style path pointing the original file systems on the original host, although I don't know why Netware would be involved since the filesystems were local to the backup host, which was both master and client in this case.

Now, the problem is that although the directory/folder structures on the tape seem fine, once the selected files are restored they appear to contain garbage.  The files were not encrypted on the original file system, but may have been compressed.  I would have thought if the original system was a Windows 2000 system and the restore system is running Windows 2003 we wouldn't have an issue if compression was used.  However, the following Symantec support note indicates that the use of Netware on the original system may be a spoiler:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/256102.htm

We get no errors from the restore process, but the "garbage" content of the files might indicate we have this scenario.   I can't follow the note's suggestion to redo the backup, since the original system is gone.  If Netware compression is the answer to this strange puzzle, how can I uncompress the Netware internal formal of the files on the Windows 2003 system?  Do I have to setup a separate client system running Netware and direct the restore stream to go to it?  That would be a hassle, but it's possible.

1 REPLY 1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
After talking with a couple of the Netware techs here (I know very little about Netware), they agreed that the problem was because of the compressed volumes.  Your best best would be to setup a netware box to restore to, then copy them to the Windows server you want them on.

Regards,