cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write Failure - please help

Analyst1
Level 3
Hi all

I'm in the process of trying to implement a backup solution here at work and I'm running into some issues.

I have a server running W2K3 Sp2 - Dual Core AMD 2.6 ghz 4 gig of RAM

Running Symantec Back up exec version 11d - rev 7170

The software is installed and seems to be communicating with the library.

I have an 8 tape library and the drive is built into the library.

I didn't set it up since the server and the library are about 4 hrs away from me but i'm going to assume that everything is hooked up correctly.

What I'm able to do is I can move tapes around, format tapes, relabel them with no difficulties.  As soon as I try and run a test backup job, it will write a little bit of data to the tape and then fail with the following error.  This information is right out of event viewier.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: Devices
Event ID: 33152
Date:  2/12/2008
Time:  8:57:00 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: 
Description:
Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
    {9DEE2140-1171-4D9E-8CD9-47B0B795A079}
Media = "Test Tape"
    {65CB4519-9937-42B4-8678-C8D66C7575A2}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)
Data:
0000: 70 00 0b 00 00 00 00 10   p.......
0008: 00 00 00 00 47 03         ....G. 

I've updated the drivers and firmware of the PCI SCSI card that I have, as well as the library and the drive with no change in results.  I'm beginning to think that the hardware is hooked up incorrectly, possibly missing the terminator or something silly.  If that's not it, does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

PCI SCSI card is: LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series
Library: HP MSL G2 1x8 autoloader
Drive: HP LTO Ultrium-3 drive

PS - if you need more information let me know....

Thanks
Larry
6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Do you have any errors in the system log coming from the hardware around the same time?

Analyst1
Level 3
No, I don't see any corresponding errors in the system event log at the time this error occurred...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Does NTbackup see and access the drive OK?

(I'd also clear the Single Block Write from the drive properties just on GP)

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-12-2008 11:18 AM

Analyst1
Level 3
Hi Ken

Thanks for the response.  NTBackup does see the drive.  When I go to create a new backup job it sees the LTO Ultrium, but when I try and back something up to it I get an error right away stating "there is no free media available with the selected type.  Add unused media or click Cancel to end the operation.  Note: it may take up to 60 seconds to recognize new media."

I'm assuming that the software is smart enough to go and get a tape from the library, or do I have to manually load up a tape?  If so, that's not possible because like I said the server and the library are in a remote area from me (approx 4 hrs away).

I removed the single block write option from the drive properties as well.  Still getting errors though.  The first error is a bit different, the second error is the usual suspect....this is what I got from event viewer:

The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Media not found.
Event Category: None
Event ID: 34113
Date:  2/13/2008
Time:  8:34:14 AM
Computer: ***
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "***") (Job: "Backup 00047") Backup 00047 -- The job failed with the following error: The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.

Then this error again:

Event Category: Devices
Event ID: 33152
Date:  2/13/2008
Time:  9:28:58 AM
Computer: ***
Description:
Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
    {9DEE2140-1171-4D9E-8CD9-47B0B795A079}
Media = "Test Tape"
    {65CB4519-9937-42B4-8678-C8D66C7575A2}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(1)
Data:
0000: 70 00 0b 00 00 00 00 10   p.......
0008: 00 00 00 00 47 03         ....G. 

When I Manage - My Computer I can see the library and the tape drive (drive 0) and under Contents I can see the 8 slots with the media in them.  Thoughts?

Thanks much
Larry

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You cannot append to a new/newly labeled tape.    Lable new tapes, and leave them in the Scratch media set

Then change your job to "Append, Else Overwrite"

Do you run one  job each week, defined as Append?  If so, none of the tapes will ever expire since OPP is reset each time the last tape in a set is closed

The Write Single Block = yes would bypass all buffering in BackupExec  and Read a data block, write a tape block, read a data block etc, so setting it to NO should give you better performance

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-13-2008 11:59 AM

Analyst1
Level 3
Hi Ken,

I just wanted to update you and end the discussion on this problem.  I didn't think there was a terminator on the library so before I changed anything else I decided to wait a few days for one to come in.  My contact person at this remote site just got it yesterday and installed it.  Since then the backups are working great, so I go back to what I said in my original email...
"I'm beginning to think that the hardware is hooked up incorrectly, possibly missing the terminator or something silly"

Thanks for your help
Larry