cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a000848c - Exchange Restore in test environment

Level 2
I am attempting a restore of our exchange server on an identical server and I am continually getting the error a000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives

We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. I have looked through the knowledge and have tried these solutions, but to no avail.

The rest of the files seem to restore fine.

Gerrard
9 REPLIES 9

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We are assuming that you are getting this error when you try to restore Exchange data.
The "unable to attach" error is usually due to improper rights /permissions assigned to the Backup Exec account .
You can follow the technote below to assign the rights and create the unique mailbox for the Backup Exec account and make sure that mailbox is not hidden from the address book.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/249456.htm

As a related document, kindly refer the following technote as well.
Title:- "Unable to attach to one of the drives" error is reported while backing up remote systems http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259874.htm

If the error still persists try restoring normal data files other than exchange and see if you get the same error.

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Level 2
I am actually doing a full restore of the server, not just the Exchange Database. Am I missing something in the process?

Install Windows 2003, Install Veritas
Complete a full restore of the whole server including Information Store, System State, file structure etc.

Thanks
Gerrard

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if this is for a migration, the easiest thing is to shut down Exchange and all non-essential services and get a "cold" backup, then restore that

If you are testing Disaster Recovery, is this new box on a test Domain? if so, are the domain and machine named the same as the orignals, and do all necessary accounts exist in AD and Exchange before starting the Exchange Restore?

Level 2
Ahhh, so maybe I need a completely restored version of our Domain Controller with AD to restore the mail server, I can't do it stand alone?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Exchange 2K and later uses AD for all account info, unlike 5.5 ands earlier which had their own data store. AFAIK, Exchange 2k &> won't even install onto a Workgroup server.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hi,

I would like to know if the problem mentioned above is still unresolved. If yes, please revert with the latest updates on the same.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be “assumed answered” and archived.

Thanks.

Gavin_Fitzpatri
Not applicable
I too am having the exact same problem.

I did a disaster Recovery Test, 1stly restoring a Domain Controller (along with the domain) and then built a Windows 2003 platform with Exchange Sp1 on top.

I recieved the same error message when restoring the Mailboxes & Information Stores, even though my 2nd Information Store was fully mounted, the 1st one didnt restore into a recovered state.

So i catalogued an older tape (2days older) and restored the 1st information store using that. And we got both Information stores.

I'm putting this problem down the the backups restored. Even though Backupexec reported both backups as successful.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know if you have tried the solution given.

Kindly update.

Regards,

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.