cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been

Tamila_Veil
Level 3
Hi,

Running SBS 2003 and have Veritas 9.1 with sp1 installed. Backups were working fine. I had to restore a file off the server from the E drive. Ever since then the backups have failed with the error in the title. The backups are local to a single server. Two drive partitions on the server C and E. The backup fails while it is processing the data in E drive. I can get a successful backup of just C drive but not C and E together.

I have tried restarting all the services. Tried different combinations of files on the E drive to back up to try and narrow the area down but no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technotes to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256120

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159

thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tamila_Veil
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for responding. The NIC card should not be an issue at all since the jobs are backing up on the same server.

There is no job being backed up on a remote server its just two different drives on the main server being backed up on a backup tape that is located on that same server.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Tamila, I have exactly the same problem. My Backup Exec is on my Exchange 2003 server, and it fails when doing mailboxes. Oddly, if I manually try abckups, they work. The scheduled do not. I'm wondering if I should clear the schedules and set them up again.

I set up logging to maximum on my Backup Exec in Tools --> Options --> Job Logs, then checked Summary information, directories, files and file details. Now I can see that it always fails at about the same point during the first users mailbox. He has a Blackberry and it was during the backup of the Blackberry folders (which are invisible unless you use the Information Store Viewer). I have yet to try the following:

a) Remove that user from the backup and see if it completes without him
b) Increase the timeout amount in the registry

This has all worked for months, and the only thing that changed was the fact that I installed SP 2 for Microsoft Server 2003. However, it can't be a network or firewall issue, because we backup fine from the remote domain controller, not from the local server that Backup Exec runs on. The big annoyance is that it works when I do it manually, even just this users mailbox. Why isn't this consistent!? The OTHER big annoyance is getting zero response from the Veritas support...

Tamila_Veil
Level 3
Hi,

This is something that seems to happen alot for us.

The backup is located on a single server and runs fine until I do a restore function for a file on the E drive of the server. Once I do the restore, the backups fail.

I found before that if I do the restore and then stop and restart all the backup services after the restore completes, I would avoid this issue. I have also resolved it before by changing the job setup and getting successful backups then resetting the job to backup all the drives to cover the part that is failing. It seems to get over the issue when I do that sometimes.

Sadly the restart all the services fix is not resolving the issue this time nor is the changing the job.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Due to other issues, we restart the server that Backup Exec runs on each evening, and the backup jobs are scheduled to start an hour after that reboot. I've just turned up debugging in the registry and recreated everything on the Job Setup page of Backup Exec.

I'll tell you how that goes tomorrow.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Tamila!

If you are using BEWS 9.1 then make sure that you have updated the installation because there is one such known issue.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tamila_Veil
Level 3
Could you be a bit more specific as to the known issue? If you are talking the date issue - that is a non factor. I tried that fix and it did not resolve the issue.

Tamila_Veil
Level 3
Obviously not a whole lot of help with this issue.......sigh

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Yeah I've had no luck either - I have a case open that hasn't even had one response from a support person on the same topic.

My situation is bizarre though - I have a daily backup, a weekly backup and a monthly backup. The weekly and monthly backups work fine, but the daily does not. As far as I can see, other than the schedule and the file selection, they are set up exactly the same. All three backups have the same setup for Exchange mailbox backup, certainly, and that's where the issue arises.

But only on the daily backup...

Doesn't make sense.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Hopefully this may help you. I performed three steps yesterday, and I don't know which one had the affect, but my backups worked fine last night.

1. From the Services console on my Exchange server, I opened the Backup Exec Remote Agent service, clicked the 'Recovery' tab, and changed all failure options to 'Take no action'. I don't want that service stopping, even restarting.

2. From the properites of my daily job in Backup Exec, on the Network page, I changed the Network Interface to the explicit device, rather than 'Use any available network adapter'.

3. From the properties of my daily job in Backup Exec, on the Advanced Open File page, I unchecked the 'Advanced Open File Option.

Bear in mind that for some time now, I've been rebooting my Exchange server before the backup takes place (every night), so you may need to reboot or at least restart some services to get this going.

Hopefully this carries on working for me, and helps you out too.

Tamila_Veil
Level 3
Thanks for posting. I will check this out and let you know.

I have the problem narrowed down to a shared file on the e drive. The file happens to contain about a 100 databases though and I dont know which is the guilty culprit. Slowly adding them to see if I can narrow it down.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
If that's the case, chances are that one or more are open at the time of backup. Perhaps it's just the open file option that needs to be unchecked. Of course, that means they won't be backed up, but I guess co-ordinating with the database administrator for some downtime on the database for backup purposes might work. That way you could agree on a certain time, and set up a separate job for that time.

I guess...

Simon_Hardy_2
Level 2
We've been having the same problem, after trying a number of things including new media set, changing the selection order, service packing the server, i decided to try testing the tape drive, it failed on compression testing. If you've got an HP tape drive, try HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools, you can perform all sorts of tests, its the Drive Assesment Test that is usually revealing.

Hope that helps

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Just a left field suggestion.
If it looks like one database file is causing the issue, are you sure you don't have a virus scanner trying to scan the read of that file?

It sounds like a very big file. If it's big enough that a virus scan check takes 2-3 seconds before the file is allowed to leave the network, I have seen this situation cause the remote agent to timeout.

Be sure to check the virus scanner on both the remote server and on the media server.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Tamila,

- Could you please Update us on the issue...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.