cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access denied to exchange resources

guillaume_Allai
Level 3
Hello,

Fist, I have windows small business server 2003 premium (exchange 2003, sql server 2000) with symantec antivirus corporate 10.1 and backup exec 10d for windows server (plus idr, exchange and sql server modules). Operating system and software are up to date.

My backup routines were ok until a few days ago, where I get an error 000848c unable to attach...ect.
When going to logs it looks that I can't access Mailboxes and Public folder.
So I decided to look after permissions of the user (I back up with the local administrator of this machine, who is the domain controller, so local admin is also domain admin).
When checking credentials, it fails for the 2 selections Public Folder & Mailboxes, but succeed for the First Storage Group. weird
Something also weird was that size of backup job was qite the same.
Then I decided to check the selections and I saw in first storage group that their is 2 object called Mailboxes Store and Public Folder Store... again weird.
Is it a bug, is it enough to backup the IS were there is the 1st storage Group (where the is mailboxes store and public folder store) ?

Sorry for the post that looks similar to others but in fact is a bit different so I wrote a new one for my problem.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Guillaume

The Exchange agent lets you do two types of backups:

-Information Store, which is the basic backup, containing everything and being useful for disaster recovery purposes.

-MAPI, which is slower, letting you do document level backups (specific mailboxes, folders or messages), that adds granularity for the agent. To do this you need a logon account with Exchange administrative rights and a mailbox created and with at least one message.

Hope that helps

guillaume_Allai
Level 3
Hello David,

So you mean, that by backing up the IS (which contains first administrative group, which contain mailbox and public folder store) will back up all my exchange server ?

With that kind of backup, I still can recover to the Recovery Storage Group and then exmerge the information I want back, so I don't see the interest of granular backup, the purpose of backup is to save all data, so...

Anyway, thank you