cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 72GB DAT USB not seen by BE 10.0

David_Hoch
Level 3
Partner
I'm having a problem with getting Backup Exec to see a newly attached USB DAT drive.

Here's a quick summary of the equipment:
HP 72GB DAT USB tape drive (HP PN: DW027A)
Windows 2003 Small Business Server
Backup Exec 10.0 (fully patched)
Backup Tape Driver: 1.5.3.1

I know that this tape drive works with Windows Server 2003 (not SBS) & Backup Exec 10.1(10d) because I've had it attached to a different server for testing prior to bringing its current location.

Also, now that it's attached to the SBS box, the drive is visible in Removable Devices, and I have successfully run backups to the drive using Windows Backup.

I've tried everything I can think of to get Backup Exec 10.0 to recognize the drive without success. I've disabled it in Removable Devices, I've verified the driver version, I've un-installed and re-installed the drive, etc., etc.

Any other suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your input.
--David
2 REPLIES 2

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
David

It seems it is supported. Symantec only says

The Hewlett Packard HPDAT.SYS driver v1.5.3.1 (or higher) is required for use with Backup Exec for Windows Servers. Please contact HP to acquire this driver.

So make sure it's the one you have, then run the hot-swappable device wizard and see if it is there.

Regards

David_Hoch
Level 3
Partner
Thanks for the reply.
That is the version of the driver that I'm currently using.
I've been using the "Device Configuration Wizard" not the "hot-swappable device wizard ". I just tried the hot-swappable device wizard and it gets stuck on "Waiting for 1 job to complete" and will not go any further.

I dont' remember using the hot-swappable device wizard when I installed this on the Backup Exec 10d box. Is this something specific to 10.0?

--David