cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

active hold pending

Chandra_Sudeesh
Level 3

Hi,

We are currently running a backup for a server and the total size to be backed up is 1TB. some case we need to hold the backup for a while eg after completion of 222gb. Once we right click the running job and select hold option the status goes to "active running hold pending". It is not hold up properly can you suggest me how to get this type of huge data backup to hold. PFB the screen shot.

active running hold pending.PNG

Thanks in Advance,

Chandra Sudeesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I would suggest that you only hold the job when it is not active

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I think what you are trying to do is to pause the job and then continue it later. This is not possible. When you hold the job, this means that you are holding the schedule, I.e., the next occurrence of the job will not run

Chandra_Sudeesh
Level 3

thank you for the response.

hold pending.PNG we are trying to hold. our question is why the status goes to running hold pending. PFA.status of hold backup.PNGhold.PNGstatus of hold backup.PNGwe cant retrive the hold back and make the backup run again.

Can you assist me in reruning the backup again(to remove the hold and change to normal schedule)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you job is running and you try to hold it, it needs to complete first before applying the hold, hence the status that you are getting. To get out of your problem, restart all the BE services. Make sure you have no other jobs running before spring the services. Otherwise these jobs will be cancelled

Chandra_Sudeesh
Level 3

Thank you. 

If i give release the hold now and try cancelling the job whether it will help me in cancelling the running job. once we tried cancelling the running job but it went to hung state. so what will be your suggestion on this.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Restart all your BE services

Chandra_Sudeesh
Level 3

sorry i forgot to mention this. after holding the job (status running:hold pending) we have restarted the server for maintance purpose. if the backup was in running it is must have failed and status should go to hold right. but that never happened.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is to be expected because the hold never have a chance to execute

Chandra_Sudeesh
Level 3

Thank you for the solution. it worked.

But i want to clarify a small thing for future. if status is active running hold pending: Running backup will continue to run and on completion hold will get implemented. We are running sql backup, on initial state, when we triggered the backup we could get the backup completed % through sql log(using queries). but once the status changed to active running hold pending, sql log showed that there were no backup running. why it is so?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I would suggest that you only hold the job when it is not active