cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

back up files stop at 4 GB and says hard drive is full

Travis_Cook
Level 2
A customer of mine is running Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 for SBS and uses USB Hard Drives as one of forms of backups for this particular server. What happens is that when a backup job runs, it backs up exactly the same amount everytime - which is 4 GB - when it should be backing up the entire server. It runs until it reaches 4 GB and then fails, giving the error that the hard drive is full. I know 9.x and 10.x versions you can change the backup-to-disk file size in the advanced tab in the properties of the actual folder in devices. I don't, however, know where you would change this size in 8.6. If someone could let me know, it would be much appreciated. Thank you anyone who replies for your time.

Travis
2 REPLIES 2

Preston_Strait
Level 2
I'm having the same problem with backing up to a USB drive with Version 5.0: The drive is 75 GB but the backup file never exceeds 4 GB and the backup operation never completes properly, I don't have any answers but the fact that we both are using USB drives leads me to believe therein might be the problem. If you find a solution to your problem please post it.null

Preston_Strait
Level 2
Hey, just to let you know I installed some hotfixes and converted my backup drive to NTFS and I'm good to go. FAT32 can only support up to a 4 GB file.