cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up of VM's

no_name1
Level 5
Certified

We wanted to backup VM's that was hosted by a ReadyNas device so to make that NAs device available in backup selection we add it on user-defined selections;installation of Symantec agent has been successful however, some VM's are not show up on the selection list but when we checked it on VMware console it's all there. 

I'm not sure why some VM's are visible while others are not. Is there any configuration that I missed out? Please advise. 

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you please post the versions of ESX and BE

no_name1
Level 5
Certified

ESX 4.0 and BE2010 R2. Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I'd recommend upgrading to BE 2010 R3 which fixed a number of issues with previous versions of BE 2010 as part of your troubleshooting process. You can use your current licenses, so no need to apply for new license keys.

Just stop your BE services and grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before doing the upgrade.

Once the upgrade is complete, run LiveUpdate to install BE 2010 R3 SP2, and then run it again to install any additional patches. Then push-install these to any remote servers you might have.

You can get the ISO below:

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Thanks!

no_name1
Level 5
Certified

Correct me if I'm wrong.. doing an upgrade of BE, this could cause to update as well all the remote agent that was installed for almost 200 servers that was being backup daily. Those servers are mostly the production servers that might be needed for server restart once remote agent has been updated. 

From that scenario lots of approvals are needed to do.  So I made some google search and was able to view now all the VM's. I'm doing a test backup hopefully it run smootly.

The only thing that I'm worried about is how do I restore the vmdk file. Why there's no logs included is this normal? and another thing is the vmdk file is too small upon browsing from the selection, I only see 2 vmdk file size is only 101,376kb is this normal? Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes, you'd have to update your agents ideally, although BE 2010 R3 does work with R2 agents.

Never knew your environment was that large, so I understand the hoops you'd have to jump through to get the upgrade done.

Please post here how you fixed your problem...anybody else referring to this would like to know for fuuture reference.

Do your VMs have RDM disks? Can you post a screenshot of your selection list, as well as your restore list?