cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup Exec

obata23
Level 3
Partner Accredited
i want someone to explain to me the corrolation between backup to disk folder and media set. i have been pratising how to configure backup exec cos i will be installing it for a client soon. So i created  a folder on my desktop called SONG. and went to DEVICE on my BE tab and then right click backup to disk wizard. then linked the wizard to the folder i created on my dexktop. so after that i run a full backup. but my question is how do i run a continous backup lets say the name of my backup is SONG. how do i run a continous backup on SONG. also what  the job os media set to a backup job....How do i connect the media set to a backup job. await your reply.
4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
For media set refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/299050

Media set is used to specify the "Overwrite Protection Period" & "Append Period"

While configuring the backup job you may select the media set from the device & media component.

In simple words "Media Set" is a set of rules which is applied to the backups for protecting data.

For cotinous backups you will have purchase "Continous Protection server"

obata23
Level 3
Partner Accredited

1. Enter the maximum number of backup set per backup to disk folder. pls someone should explain what this term mean.

2. Also the media set. is it configured before a backup or after a backup

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Q 1. Enter the maximum number of backup set per backup to disk folder. pls someone should explain what this term mean

Check Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files to create the backup-to-disk file at the maximum size to reduce disk fragmentation.

You may want to increase the append period. However, increased append periods can cause an increase in the overall overwrite protection period since the overwrite protection period starts at the end of the last append job. This can result in fewer backup jobs being targeted to this backup-to-disk folder. To avoid this, set the maximum size for backup-to-disk files to an appropriate size.

When the backup-to-disk file is initially created at the maximum size, the backup job may be delayed while Backup Exec creates the file. The backup job remains in a running state until the backup-to-disk file is created and data can be written to it.

When you select this option, Backup Exec hides the option Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file. As a result, all of the space that is allocated to the backup-to-disk file is used.

Q 2. Also the media set. is it configured before a backup or after a backup

Media set is configured before the backup jobs so the rules can be applied to the backup

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)    Each resource backed up is considered one backup set.  One Share, One database, one System State,etc.    If you have this set to 1 and have upped the MAX File Size way up, then you are wasting space disk space that will never be used.  Say you have the MAX file size set up to 100 GB and the MAX backup sets at 1.  If a file share has 102GB in it, then you will waste 98GB on the second BKF file

I normally leave the MAX file size at the default and set MAX backupsets to 10

2)  The media set needs to be defined before the jobs are created.  You use different media sets to set different protection periods and to segregate different  data.

For example if you do Weeklies and Dailies of both flat files and SQL you could use 4 media sets   Data Daily,  SQL Daily, Data Weekly, SQL Weekly

you might set both dailies to an OPP of 6 days and the Weeklies to 27 Days 

or what ever your local needs are