cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup ZERO bytes when selected User Defined Selections

carl_caudle
Level 2
When backing up a User Defined CIFS share I ZERO bytes backed up. This was working under version 10, but when we upgraded to 11d it started failing with zero bytes backup to tape.
8 REPLIES 8

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
There is really not enough information to provide an answer.

What are you backing up?
What is the backup device?
What is in the job log?
Is the job categorized as successful or failed?
if the job is failed is there an error code and exact error message?

Tim_Gage
Level 2
Cool here's the info.

backing up files from cifs shares from network appliance, samba 3.0.24 (testing), windows xp sp2 (testing).

device: Dell ML6000 tape library

Job log:

Completed status: Completed with Exceptions.
Errors:
Backup- Servername/IP/FQDN(tried all three)
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine 10.16.1.228.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.

When making the remote selections I can see sessions being intitiated to the hosts and can browse the folders/files; however when the backup job runs it never establishes a connection, but behaves as though it find no agent and gives up altogether.

carl_caudle
Level 2
We also have a case (281038979). Logged as Major, however still no call back from support. Call was placed at 12:45am 3/13/07.

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The Windows XP SP2 system should have the remote agent installed on it. All Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP systems can be backed up without need of a Remote Agent license. So for that system it will need the remote agent even if it worked under BE 10.x.

For the NetApp Filer you may need to disable NDMP for this to work. The version of NDMP used by BE changed for BE 11 so this could be the reason.

The system with Samba, technically we didn't test past samba 3.0.23c (listed on the SCL) but I tend to doubt the minor changes could prevent backup and restore.

The UMI of V-79-57344-3844 maps to the following error:
The media server could not find an appropriate port to bind to. If a port range has been specified, make some ports in that range available.

I would suggest installing ethereal on the system running samba and see if it gets any connection attempt.

I would also suggest installing ethereal on the BE server, rather than use NetMon, and see what kind of response is returned to the BE server from the remote systems.

Ideally you will find out that either BE is never getting to the remote systems or the reply is not making it back to the BE server. Once it's narrowed it should help direct the next steps.

Other things to consider, since the error maps to ports, open up the firewall / gateway between the systems.

You may need to place the BE Job Engine service into debug mode to get additional information.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275639.htm
How to Enable Debug Logs using BEUtility feature of Backup Exec 10.x and 11.d for Windows Servers.

Tim_Gage
Level 2
Thanks much. Troubleshooting that now. Will post findings.

Tim_Gage
Level 2
After an hour of troubleshooting with your tech support we have been told the options are not supported without the Netapp agent, but "user defined" selections would indicate otherwise.

We'll be returning 11 and rolling back to 10 and taking our business elsewhere shortly.

Thank you for your help.

carl_caudle
Level 2
It appears that Symantec is going to run the new 11d product into the ground by not giving adaquate support for the product. I expect that this customer being me, will be moving to a different product for their enterprise backup needs.

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Carl,

I reviewed your case and asked one of the US BEWS support centers to contact you and continue work. I see that you were contacted and hopefully you will receive a better support effort this time.