cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup buffalo terastation with backup exec 9.1

Thomas_Sawade
Not applicable
Could someone tell me what addon is needed to backup buffalo terastation with backup exec 9.1?
21 REPLIES 21

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237737.htm

Doesn't specifically address Terrastation, but explains, in general, how to backup NAS devices

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please refer to the link given on the previous response., update us on the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Chris_Moore
Level 4
Unless I am doing this wrong the backup does not work and fails with an agent cannot connect error - it is not possible to install an agent onto the NAS device.

How can you run a backup without the agent connection, is this possible so that Windows compatible NAS units can be captured.

Thanks!!

Chris

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Is this a Windows powered NAS?
- Which agent are you trying to install?
- Please refer the following technote for a command line install.
Title:
How to do a manual / silent install of the Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) if the push install does not succeed
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chris_Moore
Level 4
this is not a command line or windows NAS but linux based running samba/SMB to appear as a Windows server.

As there seems to be no support here I have had to resort to using a workstation and NT backup as a means for backing up my NAS.

Anyone else had any other success with Backup Exec???

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From teh TechNote I provided

A server uses SAMBA to emulate a Windows volume. For Backup Exec, NAS/ server is just another Windows server on the network, this is because NAS units have the ability to mimic "real" Windows NT/2000, UNIX, or Macintosh servers.

While backing up servers, Backup Exec will think it as another Windows server on the network and thus demand "RAWS/RANT" but no component is required. (In fact cannot be installed).The selections for the server backup need to be created through user-defined selections.

Did you try creating the User Defined Shares and accessing the TerraStation that way?

Chris_Moore
Level 4
Yes I have a user defined share on the Terastation that I have as the backup target

e.g. \\nas-01\archive

This is defined within Backup Exec as a user defined location and I can browse the share when setting up the backup job without any issue. It is just when the backup runs that it fails with the error about not finding/able to communicate with the agent.

I'm feeling at a dead end here which is disappointing, I have a w/s running NT Backup in the meantime but there surely must be a way to get an 'agentless' backup?

Thanks for your response

Chris

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What is the exact error that BackupExec is giving you?

Are there any Event Log entries that may apply

Chris_Moore
Level 4
Backup - 192.168.0.249 Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.

Another error was something like unable to communicate with remote agent

I did not see anything obvious in the event logs

Norris_Rusling
Level 2
I have two Terastations here and have no problem backing up to or from them. I am using BE9.1 and have assigned a mapping to the Terastations. This allows me to access them via the shared mapping. I have not installed any other options on the Terastations or server.

Chris_Moore
Level 4
Hi Norris

Thanks for responding. Could you give me a little more information as to how you have this configured?

I have a share on the Terastation called archive with no security set on it (to try and make things easier)
I have added the share as a User Defined entry i.e. \\server\archive and can browse the tree/share from within Backup Exec

Do you backup other remote agent based servers or just a standalone server?

Thanks for any more information you can provide

Regards

Chris

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try granting explicit rights to the BackupExec Service account, or "ConnectingAs" the admin account on the NAS box

Chris_Moore
Level 4
done that also, still no dice

Thanks

Chris_Moore
Level 4
Anyone.....*anyone* got a Terastation which is being backed up without agents or otherwise who can provide config help with this as it does not seem to work and wants to use an agent.

Thanks in advance

Colin_McCroskey
Level 2
Is anyone able to solve this?

We are having the same problem: unable to back up a Buffalo Terastation using Backup Exec 8.5, Windows 2000 server.

If anyone is able to backup their terastations, please post the settings/configuration used.

Thank you.

Chris_Moore
Level 4
Well I never got any response on this :(

I have ended up with an XP machine running a scheduled NT Backup of our Terastation to keep it backed up.

As I have not managed to get Backup Exec working I now use the Terastation in reverse and use Backup folders residing on the Terastation to hold system partition and other critical back up to disk jobs.

I am disappointed with the support on this site/Veritas in general, seems no-one has answers to questions put up here.

Song_Lin
Level 2
My Terastation -> Tape backup is running fine except that it won't do differential backup. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Chris_Moore
Level 4
Hi Song

Thanks for replying. Can you confirm/describe how you have this set up and working?

The system always wants to use a remote agent BUT it cannot be installed on the box. I thought it might be an authentication issue - do you have local users set up on the Terastation you use for authenticating?

Looking forward to your reply!!

Chris

John_Conomy
Level 2
Chris,

In case you're still looking for a solution, here's what I did to backup our Terastation 1.0 Pro:

The TeraStation has a static IP address. I created a user defined selection using the \\ip_address\folder_name instead of using the machine name.

I do have security enabled on the TeraStation shared folders, so I created an account on the TeraStation with read/write permissions on my target folders. On the Backup Exec server, I created a local account identical to that on the Terastation and made it a member of the local admins group on the server. When installing Backup Exec, I used this account, so all services and logons used by Backup Exec match the account on the TeraStation.

When running the backup job, it completes with exceptions. The exception is that no remote agent was found on the target TeraStation, however the data was successfully backed up and I also did a successfull test restore.

FYI - the computers involved here are in a workgroup, not a domain. Like the rest in this thread, I wish I had researched this more thoroughly before purchasing the TeraStation. It has a lot of capacity for the price, but it also has some severe limitations.

Hope this helps!

John