cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 11 d restore

ramkr2020
Level 5

Hi ,

I am new backup exec, We are using backup exec 11d , i have a ran restore job to restore a data, its restoring the job to same location from where the file got backedup, is it possible to change the restore location?

And also would like to know difference between backup to disk folders and all devices and Stand - alone drives, In my case i have media lable listed both under all devices and backup to disk, pretty confusing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To update the media details (bkf files) with backup exec media database. For example, while adding the backup-to-disk folder and it's contents to backup exec you must run an inventory operation on them. SOmetimes this might be required following an upgrade.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you checked Redirected restore option?

In the restore job properties click on FIle redirection and select the path where you want to restore the data.

ALL Devices include all the secondary storage devices configured with the media server (both disk and tape).Stand alone drives are tape drives which are not residing in an autoloader or a tape library.

Hope this is clear...

EDIT: How to perform a redirected restore: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5822

ramkr2020
Level 5

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the explanation on restore file re-direction, from your explanation i understand, that all devices shows both tape drives and disk, can you please explain on Backup to disk folders and hows its created?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To save data on disk instead of saving it on tape, we need to create backup to disk folders on internal/external storage connected to backup exec server. Right click on Backup-to-Disk folders in the storage view and click on new backup to disk folder. Provide the details required like path. Once done, it will be listed under both ALL Devices and Backup-to-disk folders. 

How to create a B2D folder: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH14907

ramkr2020
Level 5

Thanks, i got it, so what does the inventory do when we run it in backup to disk folders, right click inventory

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To update the media details (bkf files) with backup exec media database. For example, while adding the backup-to-disk folder and it's contents to backup exec you must run an inventory operation on them. SOmetimes this might be required following an upgrade.

ramkr2020
Level 5

does inventory needs to be run when i need to restore some files? 

be-nugget
Level 5

If restoring from tape, more than likely.  Remember an inventory isnt going to hurt anything.  If restoring from B2D media and you can find the data you are wanting to restore then you will need to inventory the device location possibly followed by a catalog.