cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 2010 exchange 2010 dag

nleslie70
Level 3

I'm running exchange 2010 with backup exec 2010 exchange agent.  Backups were working fine until i created a dag with a server in another office.    What's weird is that when i accidentally had the database mounted on my redundant server (we'll say node 2), the backups worked fine.  When i reactiveated the database copy on my primary server (node1), the backups failed with the error message:

Final error 0xe0000f04 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer.  The remote computer may not be running the backup exec agent for windows/linux. 

When I look at the log file, under job operation backup, under servers it has my redundant server (node 2) listed instead of my primary.   When the backups were working when i accidentally had the database mounted on my redundant server, if i look at the log file under servers it has the primary server listed.  It's as if backup exec doesn't want to do a backup on a database that is mounted?   I've looked every in the configuration including making my node 1 server the primary server.    This is driving me nuts!   

If you anyone has any ideas how to make it so that backup exec is backing up the mounted database on node 1, i would be really grateful!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nleslie70
Level 3

Called symantec backup exec support and issue is now resolved.  In the exchange tab, there is a drop down arrow to select backup exec to only backup the active copy.  Once i selected that, it's now backing up the correct copy.     

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Pl check the policy configuration on BE 2010 server. Check the source under Backup Job --> Properties --> Source --> Selections.

And check whether correct server is selected.

For more information on exchange 2010 backup refer to page no 1110 from BE 2010 Admin Guide...

Hope this helps...

nleslie70
Level 3

It doesn't really show servers there.  it just shows the dag and lets me choose the information store.

nleslie70
Level 3

it's like whatever database is mounted backup exec won't try to backup but instead try to back up the copy that's on a server that doesn't have backup exec. arrgh!

nleslie70
Level 3

The latest update - i've installed the remote backup agent on my second node and now the backups are working.  however, it's still backing up the replicated database and thus the backups are taking 3 times longer than they did before the dag.   i think i'm going to call symantec tomorrow to see what they say. 

thx

nleslie70
Level 3

Called symantec backup exec support and issue is now resolved.  In the exchange tab, there is a drop down arrow to select backup exec to only backup the active copy.  Once i selected that, it's now backing up the correct copy.