cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 2014 v-ray edition

Arnie3
Level 3

is the v-ray edition doesn't need an agent on the windows/linux vm like veambackup?  does it mean i can use ms vss shadow copy instead of backupexec vss and there will be big benefit on vpshere replication?  because if i use the agent of backup exec, meaning i can't use ms vss therefore doing replication on production time will give more utilization on the vm therefore some applications may get affected like exchange or sql.  and snap shot will be faster on ms vss?

thanks for any comment you may add.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The V-Ray edition is just a licencing package.  The underlying hypervisor agent technology is the same as if you were to buy the hypervisor agent a la carte.

You would not need to install the remote agent if you are only doing GRT for files/folders.  If you have applications/databases like Exchange, SQL Server, etc. then you would need to install the agent for GRT to work.

The remote agent will install the BE VSS provider which will in turn invoke the MS VSS provider.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The V-Ray edition is just a licencing package.  The underlying hypervisor agent technology is the same as if you were to buy the hypervisor agent a la carte.

You would not need to install the remote agent if you are only doing GRT for files/folders.  If you have applications/databases like Exchange, SQL Server, etc. then you would need to install the agent for GRT to work.

The remote agent will install the BE VSS provider which will in turn invoke the MS VSS provider.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

There might be conflicts as this suggests http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2040754

I would suggest you to use Backup Exec P2V
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backup-exec-2014-technical-white-paper-convert-virtual-p2v-and-backup-virtual-b2v-conversio