cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec and dell powervault

zayin
Level 4
Hi all,

I recently purchased backup exec and a dell powervault tape drive in an attempt to use these to backup my daily data.

The software is installed in a dell poweredge 2950, and the tape drive is connected to this machine via a scsi connection, which dell automatically installs using their own drivers.

My issue is. . I don't know how to access this drive.
I thought I could perhaps see the drive under Disk Management, or Removable Software under Comp. Management, but it's not there..
And when I start up backup exec, the backup tape drive does not show either on Media or Devices.
When I try to run a backup job and click on 'Destination', under Device and Media, I get the notification that:
"The device pool you have selected is either empty or does not contain any devices that are accessible from this server. You must add an accessible device to the device pool before this job can run. Click OK to schedule the job anyway, or click Cancel to select another device pool."

Under 'Device', I only have the option to select the name of the server.

Is there anything I need to do to install the tape drive, or make backup exec see it?

Also, once I install backup exec, is it just a matter of running the 'new job' or the 'new job wizard' for it to work, or do I need to install a client on each machine on the network that I wish to back up?

Thanks,

Ivan.

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Ivan,

Is the tape drive and library listed in Device Manager in Windows?  The tape drive will be listed under Tape Drives, and the Library will be listed under Medium Changers.  If either of these are missing you will need to contact Dell to have them resolve the hardware issues.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As Ben says, Widows Device Manager needs to be able to see the device before BackupExec can

Once Windows sees it, then run the Hardware Configuration Wizard from the tool bar to add the drive to BackupExec

You will need the RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows Systems) on each remote server you want to backup, and will need a RAWS serial on the media server for each

For Desktop systems (WinXp and prior) you need the RAWS installed, but not a coresponding serial

Vista systems need a licensed RAWS and a licensed AOFO (Advanced Open File Option) to be fully protected