cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec server ssytem service not responding

Ronald_from_deB
Level 3

Hi,

I am using backup exec 12.5 for windows servers and I discovered that since a few days the back up service isn't running anymore. I get the login screen, but when I try I get the following message: "backup exec server system service is not responding. The service is either not running or not installed."

When I wan to restart the jobs, I get (in dutch): "de afhankelijkheid service - of groep kan niet worden opgestart"

There haven't been any major changes to the server lately, the only thing I changed was the administrator password. I have the impression that could have to do with it. But both the old as well as the new pw don't function when logging on. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Ronald

11 REPLIES 11

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried changing the logon credentials for the services with the new account?

Ronald_from_deB
Level 3

Yes Kiran, I just tried to change the logon to my own credentials, but nothing happened. Same result.

Not sure if the logon actually changed, but I tried to log on with all three logons and nothing worked. I couldn't log on.

I still get the following message: "backup exec server system service is not responding. The service is either not running or not installed." 

Please advise.

Ronald

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ronald,

Try changing the account details through BEutility, and failing that, update BE 12.5 with the available patches and try that again.

Not sure if you used BEutility, or just went and changed the logon details manually?

Ronald_from_deB
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I tried to log on manually, didn't know about BEutility

I' check for the patches and will try to locate BEutility. I hope it's not in the Backup Exec software, since I can't enter the programm.

Thanks, Ronald

CraigV

...not at all...it is in the same installation directory as Backup Exec.

Just do a search for BEutility.exe and it will allow you to open it up. Go to the Media Servers drop-down section, and then right-click your server's name. I think the option is Change Media Server Account...something like that. Use the original service account...if that doesn't work, the 1 you created (hopefully it has the same domain group permissions!).

Ronald_from_deB
Level 3

I tried, didn't succeed, same thing. I get the message: services started, with errors.

Could you send me the link for the latest patches, I wanted to download but realised they were sort of recovery patches, so the wrong ones.

Thanks and regards,

Ronald

CraigV

OK...then we're still going to be using BEutility...

1. Open it up, go to your server, right-click and choose: Repair Database. Let it run.

2. Right-click it again, and choose Rebuild database indices.

Try starting the services up again...if it doesn't work, run a repair of Backup Exec itself through the installer.

Also check your Event Viewer, and make sure you don't have any errors relating to the services starting up, or your account being an issue...

Ronald_from_deB
Level 3

Thanks, I will try that. Just a question: running the repair database, rebuild database, etc. doesn't delete all former settings? The IT company installed and configured the software and I wouldn't like the backup to be functioning differently as previously installed after running the repairs/rebuilds, etc.

Please confirm before I run the repairs. Regards, Ronald

CraigV

...as long as you only choose the following, you will have no issues:

1. Check Database Consistency

2. Rebuild Database Indices

3. Repair Database...

theseng99
Level 4

hey,

go to cmd, service.msc then check all Backup Exec Service that all user account have administrator permission.  then restart again.

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Resolved refer these KB's

Backup Exec for Windows Server 12.5 Services fail to start with error "0xffffffff: 0xffffffff" after applying Backup Exec for Windows 12.5 Service Pack 2 and Event ID 57806 is recorded in the Application Event logs.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70860

After changing the Backup Exec for Windows Servers service account password, the error "Database specified does not exist" may occur when starting the Backup Exec Device and Media Service.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH29940