cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup in case of failure

SFPandora
Level 4

I have a backup task that sometimes fails. Is there a way to create a second backup task that starts just  in case of the first task failure?
4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It would be better to trouble-shoot what is causing the failures.  Having a second job does not guarantee that it will succeed.

SFPandora
Level 4
The error is due to the user that sometimes forget to put the tape in the server. I want to create a second task that make a backup on disk when the backup on tape fails....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I haven't tested this configuration

But first of all is user does not put a tape in the first job will start and wait - it won't actually fail - to make it fail you have to use the options for timing out that are part of the selection list configuration for the job.

Once it has failed you may be able to create a rule for the failure that runs a bemcmd.exe operation (via a .cmd file) to start a named job - obviously have the job already created with B2Dspecified but not scheduled.

It might however be worth you looking into creating an e-mail reminder before the backup to tape starts (assuming it is astand alone drive anyway)
If you configure you backup jobs ot eject tape at end (or end of last job if you use a sequence of append jobs)  then if the user does not insert a tape (or at least shove the existing tape back in then an inventory job will fail.)

So if you then schedule the inventory job for between when the user should have changed the tape and when the backup to tape job should start it is possible to create an e-mail alert on this job failing - that could go to yourself and the tape changing user as a reminder.

SFPandora
Level 4
Once it has failed you may be able to create a rule for the failure that runs a bemcmd.exe operation (via a .cmd file) to start a named job - obviously have the job already created with B2Dspecified but not scheduled.

How can I create a rule for bemcmd.exe operations? Is there a guide to  create cmd.file with B2Dspecified? Can't I manage the backup using the GUI?