cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup of DFS shares

David_Perrin
Level 5
We have DFS shares defined to a single DFSroots directory on a single Win 2003 SP 1 server. I am unable to get BackupExec to backup this data. The errors I have received are:

Acces is denied
Access denied to directory DFSRoots\Data\BackupPS

and

Snapshot provider error ()xE00008516): Resources specified for snapshot do nto have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVER\Data". Advanced Open file Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
5 REPLIES 5

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following technote to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263822

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Perrin
Level 5
I created a sis common store folder as suggested by the hot fix you referred to, and received the same errors when I ran the backup:

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\server\data". Advanced Open File Option used: Micropsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516: Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

These are DFS shares I am trying to back up. I looked in Veritas help and added the server as a user-defined selection, but that makes no difference. I am at a loss.

David_Perrin
Level 5
I think everything is fine. I was confused about how DFS shares work. The DFSroots folder seems to be like a layer of indirection that points to the various folders on the drive of the server. It looks like all out data is being backed up.

If I understand this incorrectly, please let me know!

Alex_Pitzner
Level 2
We have recently upgraded to Backup Exec 10.d (on a Windows 2003 Server).

We are trying to create backup selections using our DFS targets.

For example:

\\our.domain\DFS\scripts
\\our.domain\DFS\Software

etc.

We use the BackupExec system logon account (which works if we navigate to remote selections and pick the NetBios name of a server which hosts data).

our.domain\BackUpExec (<---user account)

The DFS tree does not appear under remote selections, so we tried creating a user defined selection.

UNC Name: \\our.domain\DFS\scripts

The rightmost window says "query failed"
When I click on that selection an error box pops up saying:

Logon account "System Logon Account" failed to access "our.domain\dfs\scripts". The directory of file was not be found or could not be accessed.

Account Name System Logon Account
User Name our.domain\BackUpExec
Default Yes
Type Common
Owner our.domain\BackupExec

I can open a DOS window and do a:
runas /env /user:our.domain\BackupExec "cmd" (which opens a new DOS window under those credentials) and run:
start \\our.domain\DFS\scripts
I enter the password and it can open a browser to that target.

So why can't Backup Exec 10.d query correctly?

Thank you in advance.

wreedctd
Level 2
did you ever get this resolved?