cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup-to-disk folder, media set and overwrite

cadrus
Level 3

Hi all,

How do I configure backup exec so that media for one job does not overwrite expired media allocated for other job?

I have daily incremental backup jobs and a full backup job on Friday using 2 USB drives for weekly rotation setup like below.

job1 backups to media1

job2 backups to media2

job3 backups to media3

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

How do I configure backup exec so that media for one job does not overwrite expired media allocated for other job?

You cannot

If the option to "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected, BackupExec will first look for the target media set.  if it does not find an overwriteable media in that set it will look for ANY overwriteable media.  If it finds any, it will overwrite it, regardless of what media set it currently belongs to.

For tapes in a loader/library you can create partitions and point your jobs to the partitio n associated with the tape you want to use

For D2D jobs, all you can do is set the media set OPPs as appropriate.  If you have three disks and rotate the disks each week, set the OPP for 20 days

cadrus
Level 3

Thanks for the fast reply.

My problem is if one full backup job failed (the computer turned off) in both weeks I don't have a full backup for that job anymore. 

Any suggestion how I go around this?

TIA