cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bkupexecrpcservice hanging?

David_Hope-_Ros
Level 2
Backup exec wouldn't connect to the store. It's a new installation, so i figured just reload the software. Now i can't even get beyond the initial job setup. It's timing out connecting to its local media server(which i can verify is running). The event viewer indicates that the 'backupexecrpcservice' is hung. The only reference i find to this service is in the registry, where it points to c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\beserver.exe

All of the services appear to be running. Restarting all of the backup exec services through the services manager does work, and reports that the server is started.

This is a Windows small business server 2003 running exchange, SQL, file and print services. I'm sure i left a lot out. Please reply and let me know what info i can give you. Thanks and Happy New Year!

-Dave
4 REPLIES 4

David_Hope-_Ros
Level 2
Their backup exec cd is scratched and a part was unreadable. The damaged part of the CD contained the msxml installer and was able to complete setup once i got that. No guarantees of the other files that were copied ok, though setup comepletes and the software seems to at least start running.The Backup exec job engine is hanging. at one point i figured it might be indexing the whole tape, so i let it sit for 1 1/2 hours. the result was numerous errors in the system event log, regarding 'backupexecrpcservice'.

all of the services are able to start when the job engine
service restarts (IOW when you kill it in taskman). and the
other services begin starting. the services may be starting
out of order.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What is the error message in the event logs?

Regards,

David_Hope-_Ros
Level 2
Timeout (30000 ms) waiting for a transaction response from the backupexecrpcservice service.

For more information please visit: -link to ms website-

This is the error i am getting in the event log. There are many of them.

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
David

Just to make sure the reason is not the CD, try downloading the software from Symantec's website and reinstalling it. Maybe you have corrupt files in your installation as the CD is scratched.

Regards