cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buy backup exec

juliano1kl
Level 4

Hello,

we have 3 servers, one conected in the tape library and we want to backup all. what do we need to buy?

1 backup exec, 1 Backup Exec Library Expansion Option and 2 Backup Exec Agent for Windows. Is that right? To every server we insert we need a new backup exec agent?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. That is correct.  You don't need to buy a LEO licence because you have only 1 tape drive in your library

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

That is correct, buy you don't need to buy a LEO licence if you tape library has only one tape drive.  If you want to backup applications like Exchange or SQL Server, then you would need 1 Exchange or SQL agent licence per server and that licence comes with a remote agent licence for the server.

juliano1kl
Level 4

we have the sql sever in one server. And our library is robotic. Its a ibm ts2900, with 9 tapes.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the SQL server is a remote server, then you just need to buy a SQL agent licence which comes with a remote agent licence.  So if the SQL Server is on your media server, you would need 1 full BE licence, 1 SQL Server licence and 2 RAWS licence.  If your SQL Server is on a remote server, i.e. not the media server, then you would need 1 full BE licence, 1 SQL Server licence and 1 RAWS licence.

For your tape library, it is not the number of tapes that matter.  It is the number of tape drives in the library.  The first tape drive in the library is free, but you need to buy an additional LEO licence for each additional tape drive.

juliano1kl
Level 4

So if I have 8 drivers i will have to buy 8 licences or only one?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So if I have 8 drivers i will have to buy 8 licences or only one?

What drivers are you talking about? Are you referring about tape drives?  If so, you can have an unlimited number of stand-alone tape drives, i.e. tape drives without a tape library.  For tape libraries, as long as each library has only one tape drive, you don't have to buy additional LEO licences.  For tape libraries with more than 1 tape drives, you need to buy 1 LEO licence for the second and subsequent tape drive.For example, if you have 3 tape libraries with 1 tape drive each, then you don't have to buy any LEO licences.  If you have 1 library with 3 tape drives, then you have to buy 2 additional LEO licences.

juliano1kl
Level 4

Its a IBM 2900

www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/ts2900/specifications.html

it has one tape drive, so we dont even need to buy a OLE? just the backup exec comes with the fature to this robotic library ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. That is correct.  You don't need to buy a LEO licence because you have only 1 tape drive in your library