cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Consistency Check

Ldoodle
Level 5

Hiya,

We had an issue with Exchange 2010 log files recently and got this on a first initial backup of the related database which resulted in the logs not being flushed. Is this backup good to restore, i.e. does this error message mean only the missing log files won't be restored?

This was the first job of a daily job which uses dedupe so I don't want to let it carry on if all subsequent jobs will result in naff backup data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

If it is R3 sp2 and updates then it is fully patched so you can check after doing backup now if the logs are getting purged or not

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please ensure backup-exec version is fully patched like BE 2010 r3 sp2 and updates & ensure remote agent is also upto date on exchange server. Also please ensure to backup exchange using windows backup software & see if at the end of that backup if logs are flushed are not , if that is also not flushing the logs then you will have to resolve the issue with database & won't be Backup-exec issue.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ldoodle,

Best thing to do is to try a test restore.

The consistency check just makes sure that everything is right with Exchange before/after the backup, and it can be disabled if need be. Try this as well and then run the backup job.

If you're using AOFO, turn it off too, and read the TN below and make sure you comply with the best practices:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21796

Thanks!

Ldoodle
Level 5

I dismounted the database, manually cleared the logs and remounted, which started a new log stream, re-ran the failed backup job and it completed successfully this time.

As we're running full backups each time (with de-dupe to give incremental-like space consumption) I guess all should be OK. I will try a test restore just to be safe.

PS: We're already at 2010 R2 + SP2 + hotfixes.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Would recommend you to upgrade to BE 2010 r3 sp2 with updates it always best to have S/W fully patched up apart from it when you run the backup  again ensure it is flushing the logs now

Thanks

Ldoodle
Level 5

Sorry, I meant to say R3. Typing too quick so was getting mixed up with R2 and SP2!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

If it is R3 sp2 and updates then it is fully patched so you can check after doing backup now if the logs are getting purged or not

Thanks