cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crash and hang during b2d

mike_mueller
Not applicable
have tried to get this dog to do b2d. occasionally it works. mostly it just stops moving data and hangs (up to 10 hours so far on a BU that should xfer about 1.5 gb). Now it won't even cancel. JOB STATUS is "cancel pending" and has been for several hours.

so now the problem is two-fold.

1) if I crash out either with reboot or kill in app manager what happens to the partial backup? will archive bits be left hanging in erroneous states all over the net? What about the one full backup that i did (after many days of screwing around with effects like this) finally manage to actually write to disc (after aborting several hung jobs, discarding the disc files and re and re-re and re-re-re-starting)? Are they intact? are they trash?

2) can this product actually DO a b2d or is it all just marketing fantasy? If it's not HOW do you actually operate the interface to make it do a backup not a hangup?

And then there's the whole question of why yuour not supporting 9.0? Does it in fact just not work and its too much trouble to keep pretending it does?

And how do you justify charging your customers for a product and then charging them again (and again and again and again) just to make it work. In traditional business models that's called fraud. You guys apparently think your entitled to profit from your own incompetence and inability. Not a very satisfying feeling as your customer. Maybe I should just buy direct from Enron.

And lastly: do you know anyone who makes a backup product that just works. I'll even pay you a finders fee if you hook me up.
1 REPLY 1

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

We aplogise for the problems you must have had with backup to disk folders. However it has been the experience with several people that the functionality backup to disk works very well with excellent results. In your case, it would be causing problems due to improper configuration, or environment or even Backup exec.
Thus in order to help you resolve the problem, do elaborate on the exact steps you take in order to create and run a job on a backup to disk folder. What are the errors that you get when the job hangs? Do you get any errors in the alerts tab. Also check for errors in the event viewer logs.

Additionally refer to the following technote which provides the details on configuring B2D jobs:
How to create a Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 and configure a Backup-to-Disk job
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266377

Hope this helps resolve the problem. If not, revert with the appropriate details so that we might get a better insight into the issue.

Additional information:
M ake sure that you have updated Backup Exec v9.0 to Backup Exec v9.1. It addresses many issues and enhancements from an earlier versions and Build of Backup Exec v9.0. Refer the following technotes:

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers General Information
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262414.htm

Note: 1. BEWS 9.1 is a free downloadable upgrade inclusive of previously installed agents and options from Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers agents and options.

2. Update all agents/options on all remote systems.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.