cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

d2d2t - dealing with data reduction and left over bkf files.

PCAU
Level 4

Hi All

I know usually a backup set grows over time, however how do people deal with the disk backup sets that are unused when the amount of data shrinks?

We currently do a backup disk-to-disk-to-tape of 5 servers and 1 dedicated media server.

All 5 servers run their own backup job at different time intervals (some overlap and run concurrently) and backup to seperate backup-to-disk storage folders hosted on the media server. I have allocated a maximum size of 50GB per file for these storage folders.

We then run another seperate job to backup those BKF's to tape. I do not use duplicate backup sets because under 12.5 atleast I can only dedicate this to a single job, meaning I would need 5 individual duplicate backup sets to then backup the 5 servers to tape. I believe this has improved in 2010 and1 duplicate backup set job can backup multiple child jobs?

now when the data increases this is fine because another BKF file is allocated and it's then backed up to tape, however when the data shrinks previously allocated BKF files sit there unused and take up space not only on the media server but also the tape. (using a duplicate backup set would eliminate these being backed upto tape but they would still remain on the media server hdd)

as far as I know these can only be cleared by manual intervention.

can anyone suggest a better way of doing this? or have there been other improvements since 12.5 to help with this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no way to automatically delete these "extra" files.  You would have to manually monitor, retire and delete them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Regarding your backup of the .bkf files, I think you should read Colin's comments in this discussion

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/using-backup-exec-2010-and-netgear-nas-drive

PCAU
Level 4

Thanks, yes I have faced those problems! With the introduction of De-Dup our backup strategy as a whole will need to be re-planned.

But for now can anyone comment on the best way to tackle data shrinkage as per the original topic?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no way to automatically delete these "extra" files.  You would have to manually monitor, retire and delete them.