cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete files after backup runs

Jason_Kilgas
Level 2
i want to be able to run backup and then delete files from a certain directory each day automatically from Exec. Is this possible?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Create an "Archive" job.  After the backup run, if the status is "Successful", the items backed up will be deleted.  Any other staus, they will not.

If you are selecting the Directory itself, it will also be deleted.  A workaround would be to create a TXT file (named DO NOT DELETE.TXT. or something similar, containg a comment as to the reason for the file) and put it in your Excludes list.  That way, the directory will not be empty and will not be deleted

Jason_Kilgas
Level 2
can i specify the directory out of many or is it all or none?  I don't want to delete all files backed up just a specific dir.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can specify a specific directory, or multiple specific directories.

You WILL need to create  separate Archive job, though, as opposed to your normal nightly backup

Jason_Kilgas
Level 2
ok so i was able to set this up but how can i do so and intigrate it in with the backup i have nightly already and will it effect that backup in regards to overrite of tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you want it on the same tape, you would specify "append" and the same media set as the nightly job.

But if you cycle your nightly tapes (every two week, say), then the Archive data would be overwritten also

If you have a loader, you would use a separate Media Set with a perm OPP and make the job either "overwrite" to put each archive on it's own tape, or "Append" to stack them on the same media