cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete old catalog files

Cindy_Rasey
Level 4
There are old files in my catalog folder that don't appear to be getting deleted with the database maintenance cleanup I have scheduled in Veritas. Can I delete the old files that are with extensions .tmp .fdd and .sm? What are these files? The .img files are the catalogs, correct?

Thanks,
Cindy
6 REPLIES 6

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Yeah you can delete the old .tmp .fdd .sm and .qtc files, these are temp catalog files.

Do NOT delete .fh or .img files as they are your catalog files (for v10).

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

The catalog files appear with U.01 extension. In case you want to keep the catalogs for a specified time, follow the steps as per the technote below:

Title: What is the purpose of the "Truncate Catalogs After 'x' days" option in Backup Exec?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/229528

Rever in case you have further question on this.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
.u01 files are catalog files for v9.x, .fh and .img are the catalog files for v10.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Cindy_Rasey
Level 4
Thanks for the information. You have all been very helpful. I do have a couple more questions though, why is it that when you upgrade, the old catalog files are not cleaned up, nor are the .tmp files and such? I do have the cleanup jobs scheduled in veritas.

Secondly, it seems the data files are located in a different location in version 10, as opposed to version 9. Can I delete all the old files in the data folder for the previous version? And, can I move where the data files are stored? By default they are stored on the C drive which is not that big. I like to keep at least 30 - 45 days of history.

Thanks,
Cindy

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Since during the time of upgrade you had selected the option to retain the 9.1 information the catalog information has been retained.

Also it is not recommended that you move the old files from data folder.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.