cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

devices

Level 2
We are currently using backup exec 9.1 on the Windows 2003 Active directory server, with and Exabyte VX-2 autoloader; the other 2 servers are members servers using the remote agents, all servers currently get back up to the Backup exec/DC. One of the servers currently has an HP72 DAT hot swappable drive. I would like to use this drive as a secondary backup device. Is there any way I can add this device in the devices without physically moving it to the Backup Exec "Main" server.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Nope.

many times asked, but still not an option on BackupEec

Level 2
so, then if i move it to the main backup server, could i then use both tape drives.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Yes, if you move it to the BE media server, you can use both devices. Just have them in the same device pool and assign the device pool as the device in each job, rather than a specific device. BE will use both devices at once if two jobs run at the same time, or will use the deivce which has the highest priority (ironically the lowest number is the highest priority)

Device priority is found on the device properties screen, but only if it is in a drive pool.

As for you initial question, technically with 10.0 if you have the Central Admin option installed you could have one machine control various remote BE media servers which each have their own hardware.