cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drive appears incorrectly under standalone

ramblreb
Level 4
If this has been answered before I cant find it. I replaced my computer, everything else stayed the same, SCSI card, OS (Win2K), Software (BackupExec 8.6) and Tape Library (Quantum DLT 4700). Now I can not get BackupExec to see or use the Library. Robotic support is enabled, Windows sees the Library correctly both in Device manager and in Removable Storage (Media Changer ID 5, Lun 1, Drive ID 5, Lun 0). BackupExec does not see the changer at all. I have tried using both Windows Drivers and Veritas Drivers. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Silly question first -

When you re-installed BackupExec, did you select the Library Support Option?

ramblreb
Level 4
Yes, it was stated in my first post that robotic library support is enabled. To verify that I also checked for the SCSIChanger Key in Regedit, it is there. Not so silly now hu!

ramblreb
Level 4
I spent countless hours trying to get this resolved. I re-installed BE several times. Went through add/remove programs to add robotic library support over and over again to no avail. I downloaded Talk (tape drive utility) from Quantum and it would not see the drive, it failed to find the drive on the SCSI Bus yet windows removable media always saw and operated the drive with no problems in the times I had BE's drivers removed.

So I switched to a different hard drive and installed Win2k. I installed BE before any other driver or OS updates and BE saw the drive correctly as a robotic library. I spent the rest of the day installing and updating drivers and OS, one at a time, with a reboot in between, trying to find the failure point.

It never failed! I switched back to my original drive and like magic, it worked there too, so did Talk. The only thing I can come up with, is that the install of the OS on the new drive changed some P&P settings like IRQ, DMA, Etc. that carried over to the install on the other HD on reboot. Unless it is a intermittent hardware problem, either way, I hope it never happens again!!